tv licence direct debit unusual practice

lofty29 17:52 20 Mar 2008

Hi for reasons I wont go into we have to pay a tv licence for the first time in several years. Looking on the website saw about DD and noticed and unusual method which meant that in the first year one pays £200 approx instead of £135. in most cases council tax etc dd's are paid about one month in advance. tv licences dd's are effectively paid about 18months in advance. who is gaining all the extra revenue from the money sitting in the bank????

belfman 18:02 20 Mar 2008

I stopped paying buy direct debit because they made you pay so far in front. I haven't paid a penny to them in quite a while. When my cover lapses I'll pay up front for the license.

sunny staines 18:06 20 Mar 2008

when i renewed my tv licence, had to go to local petrol garage to renew it not the post office.

Arcless 19:07 20 Mar 2008

According to the Money Saving Expert website it also cost £1.25 a quarter to pay by DD.
Most organisations/companies let you pay less for a DD, but with TV Licenceing not only do they charge you well in advance but also charge you £5 a year for the privalige.
I don'y mind the licence, but I do take exception to being ripped off.

oresome 19:56 20 Mar 2008

Unless you already have a licence, are you not paying in arrears for the current licence plus some extra towards next years?

If you pay cash, you pay in advance, so there is an advantage to DD if this is the case.

jack 20:04 20 Mar 2008

Is when as in this household we claimed exemption because we are crumblies- it was herself who qualified first by virtue of age.
In due course she received her Yellow 'free licence attached to which was a cheque for £75 made payable to herself.
It has been me that has been coughing up the DD all these years-
Not only do they take it in advance the pay some one else when its time for a refund.

knockin on 20:49 20 Mar 2008

That is my understanding of it - that you have their money for 6 months and then they have yours for six months - it evens out over a year.
As you rightly say, when you do as belfman suggests and pay upfront, the whole amount is paid in advance.

lofty29 22:56 20 Mar 2008

As set in the dd, at the at start you pay about £22pm for six months followed immediatly by £11 pm continous so in the first year you pay £200 so you are always in advance by 18months

lofty29 23:00 20 Mar 2008

ps they way they word the website it does suggest that you are in arrears for six months but in fact you never are because the first six months service is paid for the previous year, and by the time that has effectively been used up you have paid the next six months.

BT 08:29 21 Mar 2008

I pay by Direct Debit once a year and don't pay any extra. You used to be able to pay by an automatic Credit Card payment but for some reason they withdrew this option and now only offer Direct Debit.

Monoux 09:14 21 Mar 2008

BT -- Probably withdrew the Credit Card option because the recipient has to pay the credit card companys fees and this lot only take money and do not like paying it out ( unless to MPs, foreigners, illegal immigrants, prisoners etc )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?