TV Licence & the beeb

sunny staines 18:44 22 Dec 2006

Is it time the BBC is broken up and auctioned off to the private sector, for them to earn from advertising revenue rather than licensing.

public would save on licence fees
govt on the sale

Colin 18:53 22 Dec 2006

I think this topic has been raised before, but, seriously, I would rather pay a licence fee to avoid adverts and drivel-like television programmes. I know there are some pretty dire programmes on the BBC, but I wouldn't want the TV service in the UK to resemble American television.

lisa02 18:53 22 Dec 2006

no

spikeychris 18:54 22 Dec 2006

click here

Keep it.

Forum Editor 19:05 22 Dec 2006

would be a retrograde step if ever there was one.
It's one of the best TV and radio organisations in the world - if not THE best - and we should be grateful we have it.

I see output from lots of TV companies in sveral countries, and I assure you there's nothing that even comes close to being as good as the BBC.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:27 22 Dec 2006

Most commercial channels are rubbish, never mind the commercials.

I'm willing to pay the money to avoid them on at least two channels.

jack 20:10 22 Dec 2006

;-) ;-) Come end of Jan we two come of age
We wont have to pay any more
I have already made the application via the Web site;-)

spikeychris 20:27 22 Dec 2006

interzone55 20:36 22 Dec 2006

Here's a perfect example of why the BBC should stay as it is...

In 1998 Carlton & Granada set up ONdigital, the first terrestrial digital TV service, it was a critical and commercial flop and died an ignoble death in March 2002.

In October 2002 the BBC launched Freeview, which despite a shaky start (and some critisms over signal quality due to high compression on non-BBC channels) is now a resounding success.

The BBC also had a major part in the development of DAB, and are developing a new high compression, low loss codec for delivering broadcast quality TV over the internet.

If the BBC was privately owned, there is little chance that blue sky projects such as these would get much funding.

De Marcus™ 20:40 22 Dec 2006

Age related rebate ?

De Marcus™ 20:40 22 Dec 2006

Sorry that was directed toward jack.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?