TV Licence

egapup 19:05 28 Feb 2007

Just seen a advert on the telly, you cant buy a TV licence in a post office anymore, you need to find a shop which has PayPoint. Do people sit in offices and try to find ways to make life more difficult? why cant we still buy a licence at a post office as well??

anskyber 19:11 28 Feb 2007

You can always do it on line. click here

Forum Editor 19:12 28 Feb 2007

the BBC hasn't renewed the contract with the Post office, or the other way around - the Post Office has decided not to renew.

You don't need to find a shop with a PayPoint (although there are thousands of them), you can pay in other ways:-

Online by Direct Debit, either annually, quarterly or monthly.

Online by debit or credit card.

By phone, at 0870 241 6468, with a debit or credit card.

With a TV Licensing savings card, using cash or a debit card.

By post to TV Licensing, Bristol, BS98 1TL.

If you want to find your nearest PayPoint Outlet, phone 0870 850 7846.

hssutton 19:19 28 Feb 2007

It's so easy online, that's how I do it, just a couple of minutes.

Kate B 19:21 28 Feb 2007

Absolutely - I can't imagine anyone preferring to stand in line in a draughty post office rather than doing it quickly with a couple of clicks.

Jackcoms 19:24 28 Feb 2007

"It's so easy online, that's how I do it, just a couple of minutes"

It's even easier by Direct Debit. The new licence arrives on my doormat every year and TV licencing then debit my bank account.

Just a couple of seconds - to pick the letter up off the doormat..

anskyber 19:25 28 Feb 2007

I did it on line, by setting up the Direct Debit (!)

Bingalau 20:01 28 Feb 2007

I'm lucky because I no longer have to pay at all. But I think some people don't realise that not everybody has a computer or the knowledge to go "online". ..Bingalau..

oresome 20:09 28 Feb 2007

Kate may not be able to imagine why people prefer to queue at the Post Office, but that is exactly what a lot of older folk prefer to do.

And they certainly wouldn't go anywhere near a computer. A bank current account is necessary to set up Direct Debits and this is something else many do not have.

We tend to think of things from our own perspective, but society covers a wide range of financial sophistication.

Kate B 20:12 28 Feb 2007

True - but there are Paypoint outlets everywhere. I don't think it's going to be any more difficult to get a TV licence with the withdrawal of the Post Office facility.

Newuser38 20:14 28 Feb 2007

We can do it at the local Co-oP which is just across the street from the In shop Post Office where we used to do it.. I could do it online or by direct debit but supporting smaller operators, it is not a big CoOp, and keeping the small town community alive for us senior persons is very important I believe.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone