TV Chefs

pj123 18:55 20 May 2008

Just been watching a couple of cooking programmes on TV.

How come that Chefs can handle all our food with bare hands?

Not one of them have protection on their hands and they also wipe their hands on a really dirty cloth.

Go to any Deli counter in a Supermarket and the assistants there are not allowed to pick up any of the food without gloves/protection.

wiz-king 19:09 20 May 2008

Simple - chef's are cooking the food which will kill all the germs, whereas cold food that may be left around for hours in the warm or kept in the fridge for a day or two is at greater risk of spoilage.

mrwoowoo 19:15 20 May 2008

Many a time iv'e seen people handling food with gloves on their hands.Trouble is,they think they can touch everything else around them,dirty or not just because they have them on.
Needless to say,just because they have gloves on,it doesn't mean they are clean.
At least hands get washed.

Forum Editor 19:20 20 May 2008

about what goes on in some restaurant kitchens you may as well give up eating out.

ulrich 21:44 20 May 2008

Give up living if you watch such programmes.

Marko797 22:01 20 May 2008

the reason why humans come armed with an immune system?

I think we're all paranoid about glove usage/potential dirt/imaginary dirt.

Could be the reason we all contract illnesses/viruses etc so easily? We're just too clean.

Stuartli 23:37 20 May 2008

Many of my other half's family, along with one of my best friends, come from farming backgrounds.

They've all spent long hours in the fields producing food for the nation, taken their midday half-hour break for "baggin" and, if necessary, eaten again late in the day.

Rarely has the opportunity arisen to wash their hands, the baggin has been devoured and it's quickly time to go back to work.

Yet serious illnesses have been few and far between and the general outcome has been healthy and long living citizens.

BT 08:15 21 May 2008

I saw the butcher in my local shop using the alcohol gel that is used in hospitals.

spuds 11:35 21 May 2008

Not very long ago there was a program about Gordon Ramsey and his attempts of helping failing restaurants in the USA. On one episode, a chef dropped some food on the floor, then commenced to pick it up and place it in the pan. Gordon Ramsey commented on this, and was informed that by cooking the product, it would render it clean and sterile. If looks could kill, Mr Ramsey was not amused.The same applied to some of the rotting food on display.

Our local supermarket, uses the same metal food tongues to handling everything. Doe's that count!.

Our local trading standards have a dedicated team, who seem to close down food places on a very regular basis. Mouse, rat and cockroach contamination are the main problems.

Seth Haniel 11:54 21 May 2008

I ate all that was put before me - two fellow travellers washed all their fruit with bottled water and were really fussy on what they ate.

on arriving back in England the first letter from them was they had both gone down with Gastro-enteritus.

But a secret is to eat a local yoghurt sweetened with honey each day to introduce the foreign bacteria to your system :)

spuds 12:16 21 May 2008

Seth Haniel-- I was also in the position of eating anything when I frequented Egypt. Never had any real problems, but some how some of my colleagues managed to suffer 'a little'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone