TV Aerials

zant 16:57 07 Sep 2006

From time to time posters ask about TV aerial installation and are concerned about work quality. The Confederation of Aerial Installers is worthy of a look. Their members are subject to quite strict rules and are Nationwide. Goto click here for more information.

Stuartli 16:09 08 Sep 2006

>>The Confederation of Aerial Installers is worthy of a look>>

It's still worth checking out first any firm you might use.

Corgi is a noted organisation regarding gas fitters and workmanship - one of my neighbours is "Corgi registered" but I wouldn't let him within touching distance (was going to say a mile, but not appropriate) of any gas appliances, boilers etc in my property...:-)

johndrew 16:18 08 Sep 2006

`Corgi is a noted organisation..`

Very noted in fact. British Gas has all its fitters approved by them since it contracted the approvals out. Also it is illegal for any none registered person to service, maintain, commission or otherwise tamper with gas equipment in the home.

Difficult to say the same about TV aerials!!!!!!

namtas 17:19 08 Sep 2006

johndrew, your post ........Also it is illegal for any none registered person to service, maintain, commission or otherwise tamper with gas equipment in the home..........

I am very interested to see this quote, especially
>>>illegal for any none registered person>>>
would you mind showing me where I can see the actual document that states this. From memory, I was sure the regulation was worded >>must be competant>>
Perhaps I am mistaken.

Stuartli 17:33 08 Sep 2006
  Stuartli 17:34 08 Sep 2006

..and the second paragraph here:

click here

johndrew 17:36 08 Sep 2006

You could well be right as to the wording, but when you check the definitions a `competent` person must be `registered`.

I think, if memory serves, details exist in some obscure piece of legislation that refers to the supply and usage of gas.

Basically you can fit a gas appliance but not connect it to the mains and turn it on as I understand it. Also if it is fitted and functional you must not do anything (other than turn it on/off) to interfere with its operation.

If I`m wrong I will stand corrected, but I was told by our British Gas man that I was more than able to service my central heating boiler but it was not legal for me to do so as I was not registered.

namtas 17:47 08 Sep 2006

Stuartli

I know very well what Corgi quote, I am asking to see where I may actually read the related official regulation that states that it is illegal.

johndrew

Likewise again where does it say a competant person has to be registered, Gorgi says this I know, but where do they get it from.?

Stuartli 17:52 08 Sep 2006
  namtas 18:07 08 Sep 2006

Stuartli,

Many rules and regulations, controls and words. I havent got time to go through them all. Just point me to the area that show the text in law that it actually ststes it is illegal as johndrew quoted below

Also it is illegal for any none registered person to service, maintain, commission or otherwise tamper with gas equipment in the home..........

johndrew 20:15 08 Sep 2006

If you read the second link Stuartli has provided above you will find the following paragraph:

`Notified Bodies

Notified Bodies are independent organisations that have been designated by the Member States as being competent with skills and qualifications to undertake type testing, approval of quality systems, production monitoring and surveillance to verify conformity to the Essential Requirements of the Gas Appliances Directive.`

The terms you refer to are all there, especially the word `qualifications` which is a clear and authoratitive reference to an approving body. I feel certain if you read the Regulations and advice sheets (especially `THE GAS SAFETY (INSTALLATION AND USE) REGULATIONS 1998`) fully you will have the detail you require proved. If however you `havent got time` then you can hardly expect everybody else to run around after you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?