TV adverts volume too loud

MichelleC 10:49 22 Mar 2007

Well, a lot of us knew it already, now someone's complained and they're going to do something about it click here

Every time the ads come on we've had to make a grab for the remote to turn it down. Not for much longer.

ArrGee 10:55 22 Mar 2007

I agree that something should be done, it's very annoying to have to adjust the volume twice every 15 minutes or so.

However, and this may sound strange, the volume doesn't actually increase. Tests have been done to examine the db levels during programmes and during ad, and the resulting levels were equal.

This is down to compression levels that the advertising industry use.

ArrGee 10:56 22 Mar 2007
  [email protected] 11:47 22 Mar 2007

Some channels are worse than others. From memory, I recall UK Gold being very bad for this. I wonder if it has something to do with the age of the programs they air or whether it is just a marketing ploy.

gammic 13:02 22 Mar 2007

You can do something about the ads being too loud - just invoke the speakers off button on the remote. But... there's nothing you can do about the background music being too loud and drowning the speech! It's all in the final mixer desk control. I find this problem very difficult and lip reading seems to be the only answer!

oresome 13:55 22 Mar 2007

I find the raised average sound level to be counter productive for the advertisers. We always mute the sound so we can converse.

oresome 13:55 22 Mar 2007

I find the raised average sound level to be counter productive for the advertisers. We always mute the sound so we can converse.

anchor 14:26 22 Mar 2007

Commercial television has been denying this for decades.

At last it is official; they do turn up the volume.

wiz-king 15:27 22 Mar 2007

The TV companies use computers to run the mixing desks and they are not as sensitive as the human ear is to changes in level - and cheaper than trained engineers.

TOPCAT® 15:58 22 Mar 2007

tactics by the Advertising Standards Authority back in July 2005. click here ASA should now act swiftly and forcibly in the public interest and punish C5 hard for contempt of its guidelines.

MichelleC. Whilst on the subject of audio annoyances, I hope you won't mind me outlining another, personal gripe about most DVD playback through a TV. This concerns having to raise the TV sound level inordinately high in order to hear the soundtrack satisfactorily. Unless you remember to readjust the sound level down again before switching back to the TV, then one is nearly 'blown' out of the seat with the sound! TC.

rodriguez 16:23 22 Mar 2007

Yes I know you're Barry Scott, that's the umpteenth time you've shouted it down my earhole. If they could just quieten him down I'd be happy. :-D

TOPCAT®, I noticed that problem when I first had a DVD player all those years ago. I think it's something to do with the film companies lowering the volume to make it softer without distorting, but I'm not sure. I still don't remember having to turn a VHS up. Anyway, I think some DVD players have a button that you can press to auto correct the volume.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache