TV Advertising

rawprawn 19:37 30 Mar 2008

How are companies such DFS and many other furniture companies able to offer continual sales? I thought that to offer something in a sale retailers were obliged to have the item on sale at a regular price for X number of weeks beforehand. However whenever I turn on ITV there are always sales on at these companies.
WE don't have Sky and we can't get Freeview where I live, is it the same on digital TV?

anskyber 19:43 30 Mar 2008

They do, in a way.

First its a Sale, then its full price but with 50% off then its two for the price of one. So it is advertised at the full price but with incentives, not sales.

rawprawn 19:44 30 Mar 2008

PS. They usually say "Everything" at half price not just specific items.

rawprawn 19:45 30 Mar 2008

Is there a legal difference?

anskyber 19:52 30 Mar 2008

Well I am no lawyer on these matters but given the widespread use of these tactics by a number of retailers I would have thought Trading Standards would have acted by now for their own local stores if it was not.

Forum Editor 20:03 30 Mar 2008

says that where a 'previous price' is shown on a discounted item the previous price should be the last price at which the product was available to consumers in the previous 6 months.

The product should have been available at that price for at least 28 consecutive days in the previous 6 months; and it should be in the same shop where the reduced price is now being offered.
Any deviation to this must be pointed out in a
fair, understandable and clear way. For
example, a sign saying 'goods on sale here at
higher price 1st to 26th February' or 'goods on
sale at higher price in only 10 of our 59 stores'.

A retailer should not use general disclaimers, for
example 'higher prices have not necessarily
applied for 28 consecutive days'. If there is a series of reductions on a product the '28 day' rule applies to the highest price shown but not the intervening prices. All intervening prices should be shown.

spuds 00:28 31 Mar 2008

There is nothing to stop a major player like DFS selling an item in one of its stores, at the higher price, then selling the same item in its other stores under a sales promotion banner, with (say) 40%-75% off.

I purchased a very nice suite from DFS a number of years ago. The advert stated the sales price, but when all the 'extras' were added on, in made quite a difference price-wise. Extras included Deluxe castor's, Scotchguard,matching cushions and delivery.

interzone55 08:54 31 Mar 2008

I noticed before Christmas that one of the sofa companies (probably DFS but not 100% sure) was saying that "we only have two sales a year"

Yeah right, one for 7 months and one for 5 months...

rawprawn 10:33 31 Mar 2008

I agree with your comments, the problem is that nowadays we don't really know the price of anything.
Like supermarkets offering buy 1 get one free when you really only want or need one. It would be much nicer if they just reduced the price.
I am not naieve enough not to know the reason, but I do get fed up with continual "sales"

Mike D 17:03 31 Mar 2008

I seem to remember that MFI (I think, my apoligies if I'm wrong) used to get around the problem by stating that the goods had been for sale at the full price in one of their stores (that is one product at one store, thus they could then offer it at a sale price legally. I think that they also had a training store where everything was was full price; it was open to the public, but I don't think there were many customers!

oresome 20:12 31 Mar 2008

Some 'sale' prices are even referenced to an after event price.

The best thing is to look at the goods and see if they are worth whatever the price happens to be and take all 'savings' with a large pinch of salt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?