Turn the mirrors round to face the wall!

Diemmess 15:06 23 May 2008

A noisy thunderstorm running in the Severn estuary at the moment confirmed by Upminster weather.

My other half used to have an aunt who terrified of thunder and lightning, turned the mirrors around to avoid being struck.

Any other eccentrics out there?

rawprawn 15:09 23 May 2008

I absolutely LOVE them,I can remember the ones we had in Australia, the sky would turn jet black and when the thunder came it was a noise like nothing on earth with a lightning flash to match!
Exhillerating!!

€dstowe 15:11 23 May 2008

I heard of an old relative of mine who curled up in the dog basket (with the dog) whenever there was a storm. Her reasoning was based on the notion that dogs aren't (can't be?) struck by lightning. No idea where she heard that but??????????

jack 15:47 23 May 2008

Turn off computers and Tv's
Get under the table - thats me ;-}
Well the first bit anyway

Jim Thing 16:21 23 May 2008

"Any other eccentrics out there?"

A very elderly member of my late wife's family used to insist that all ceiling lights not in use had to be switched off — even those with no bulb fitted. This was to stop the electricity leaking out.

Table lamps without bulbs were exempt from this rule because the terminals point upwards, which keeps the electricity in, apparently.

Not many people know that...

peter99co 16:32 23 May 2008

If you have ever stood within 30ft of a lightning strike you turn everything to the wall. I hope I never have to disprove the same place theory

interzone55 16:40 23 May 2008

I love thunderstorms, I saw some amazing ones about 20 years ago in Montana. Like rawprawn said, sky goes total black and you just get the loudest noise as the thunder cracks.

I also love standing under a awning during heavy rainfall, it's amazingly refreshing

anchor 16:48 23 May 2008

My late Mother would ensure that all cutlery was placed in a drawer during a storm. She believed it would attract the lightning.

She told me that she thought that after experiencing the London wartime bombing she would never be frightened of storms again. She was.

peter99co 17:35 23 May 2008

In 1949 My Auntie Flo used to open both the front and back doors to let any ball lightning to pass through the house. Does such a thing exist?

spuds 18:03 23 May 2008

Not sure about thunderstorms , but there's nothing more pleasing than having a bar of soap in the monsoon season, especially if you were unable to have wash for a few days ;o)

VCR97 19:44 23 May 2008

Ball lightning
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?