Trusted Computing

smokingbeagle 20:08 05 Aug 2004

click here
Do we really want this for the (promised) trouble-free computing? I dislike XP because of the hassle of re-activating MY legit software after changing the hardware on MY computer.
TCG would kill my interest altogether.

Forum Editor 23:01 05 Aug 2004

unless your interest is in using pirated software of course, then it might.

Trusted computing isn't anything to be afraid of, or worried about. When it comes we'll all evaluate it, and decide whether to take it or leave it. If enough people decide to leave it then that will be the end of it.

Market forces are the most powerful forces of all in a commercial context, and unless a concept has the support of enough people it will fail. Time, as they say, will tell. My money's on Trusted computing.

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:10 06 Aug 2004

'I dislike XP because of the hassle of re-activating MY legit software after changing the hardware on MY computer'...I am astounded at your definition of 'hassle'.

G

smokingbeagle 00:19 06 Aug 2004

click here

GANDALF <|:-)>, You wouldn't be astounded if you had to do it over the 'phone.

LastChip 13:08 06 Aug 2004

Trusted computing in my view is bad news.

The concept is excellent, but the proposed implementation, poor.

Anything that takes away ultimate control from the user, should be condemned. Unfortunately, there is always someone who will take commercial advantage of this, and (if it becomes widespread) in my view, that will happen.

I doubt we will all evaluate it, because most of the population will be fed whatever they buy from their supplier. Sadly, the majority of users will be blissfully unaware of the dangers, and if this doesn't reek of big brother, I don't know what does.

Just remember, we are supposed to live in a free society, and I for one, do not wish to have any more of that freedom rescinded; however it may occur. We've lost enough already!

spikeychris 15:12 07 Aug 2004

"Software suppliers can make it much harder for you to switch to their competitors' products. At a simple level, Word could encrypt all your documents using keys that only Microsoft products have access to; this would mean that you could only read them using Microsoft products, not with any competing word processor."

The end is nigh...

stalion 16:09 07 Aug 2004

this will not happen.As you probably are aware microsoft have already had a lot of hassle regarding windows and the forces that be will not allow an overall monopoly by one company.

spikeychris 17:24 07 Aug 2004

On June 7, 2000, a judge ordered Microsoft to be broken up. It was the most significant antitrust decree since AT&T in 1982 and Standard Oil in 1911.

Nearly one year later a federal appeals court reversed the decree, denouncing the judge, but still found Microsoft broke federal antitrust law

click here for the most boring doc in the world.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?