Trump launches cruise missiles on Syria, war?

rickf 09:31 07 Apr 2017

I think this is reckless and could lead to a wider conflict and possibly war. With his popularity waning and not being able to get his domestic policies approved this is a welcome distraction for him and his administration. I think it is an opportunistic act and damn dangerous proving he is trigger happy and an ego maniac. Would the UK be dragged into it, hope not.

LastChip 10:27 07 Apr 2017

So what do you suggest, keep letting the Syrian people being gassed?

If I'm truthful, no I don't like it either. But while Europe sits on it's hands and pontificates and does nothing, at least he's trying to show that America sees it as the gross barbaric attack, that chemical weapons are.

No one in their right mind wants war, but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

And no, I hope we don't get drawn into it. We've got enough on our plate with ISIS and our record in the Middle East has been far from exemplary.

If President al-Assad thinks he can fight America, he's in a dream world. Perhaps this warning shot will bring him to his senses.

Forum Editor 10:41 07 Apr 2017

War?

Between who and who? Presumably, you mean America and Russia.

I very much doubt it, in any case. The recent event in Syria has been widely condemned, and Russia would be extremely foolish if it went to war on the basis of what has happened so far. Firing fifty nine Cruise missiles is not going to change the course of the Syrian conflict , but it will have sent a clear message to Assad and Putin that the use of chemical weapons will have consequences.

President Trump was obviously shocked by the images coming out of Idlib, and it would not surprise anyone in the American command structure if he ordered further strikes on Syrian military targets.

Quickbeam 11:36 07 Apr 2017

I fully agree with Lastchip.

In addition there may be an element of a surreptitious warning to North Korea that he ment what he said last week concerning them.

Pine Man 11:40 07 Apr 2017

it would not surprise anyone in the American command structure if he ordered further strikes on Syrian military targets

Trump believes that the Syrian Regime used chemical weapons and launched the attack. The first question you have to ask is what was the purpose of the attack? Was it punishment or a warning not to do it again?

Assuming that it was a warning not to do it again how on earth could he order further strikes on military targets until they use, or threaten to use, chemical weapons again?

Belatucadrus 11:42 07 Apr 2017

There will no doubt be a lot of posturing and vast quantities of belicose hot air will be released by Russia, Syria and Iran but hopefully the message will get accross.

Even big Don who clearly doesn't get or care much about international politics can be pushed too far and the Americans still carry the biggest stick.

Cymro. 12:56 07 Apr 2017

It's not going to "lead to a wider conflict and possibly war". As for "his popularity waning and not being able to get his domestic policies approved" it is still early days for the Trump administration he has plenty of time yet to pull things back in the opinion polls and finally no the UK is not going to be "dragged into it" and yes I also hope not.

Al94 14:37 07 Apr 2017

Not a Trump fan but he did act swiftly and decisively in a measured but firm response, something that has been lacking in world leaders in recent times. No doubt a warning to others including N Korea. Putin is looking a bit ridiculous defending Assad.

Pine Man 16:15 07 Apr 2017

Cymro

'It's not going to "lead to a wider conflict and possibly war".'

'no the UK is not going to be "dragged into it"'

Bold statements, based on..........?

Yup, I thought so.

rickf 16:44 07 Apr 2017

I am overwhelmed by the faith in Trump's bona fide.

morddwyd 19:26 07 Apr 2017

So what do you suggest, keep letting the Syrian people being gassed?

I suggest we operate through the UN. Flawed as it is, it is our only hope, and that is why it was set up.

Once individual nations start taking unilateral military action against other sovereign states we are on a very slippery slope indeed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires