Truck Racing Would you do it

woodchip 19:35 17 Oct 2012

Hows about this? bit more than I would Like Check it Out

rdave13 19:44 17 Oct 2012

Simple answer is no, I wouldn't. How he survived is a miracle.

canarieslover 19:46 17 Oct 2012

Just a touch of driver error. Probably thought he was on the M25.

morddwyd 20:07 17 Oct 2012

On the phone no doubt!

WhiteTruckMan 21:17 17 Oct 2012

On the whole I think it's an honour I would be happy to pass up on.

You have to also bear in mind that calling it truck racing is a wee bit misleading. They are merely very large, heavy vehicles going very fast. They bear as much relationship to trucks as touring car championship racers bear to the car in the street. I recall tony ponds racing 6r4 metro of a few years ago, and seeing it parked up for display. The only component on the entire vehicle that was compatable with an ordinary metro was the windscreen!

But more pertinant is tiff needel from top gear trying his hand at a racing truck (a mercedes, I think) at brands hatch. It was pitted against a sierra cosworth, and left the cosworth for dead, until the corners. Imagine a 6 tonne vehicle with 1500+hp on tap and the cornering ability of a supermarket trolley.

Still and all, it might make it even more interesting if they all had trailers on their backs!

WTM

interzone55 21:29 17 Oct 2012

WhiteTruckMan

I saw a couple of 6R4 Metros at the Chris Evans car fest last month. One was a fully stripped out rally car, the other was one of the homogolation specials sold for track days.

The Homogolation car had the regular dashboard and radio from the granny road car, but it also had the full power 6 cylinder twin-turbo engine from the XJ220, so was actually more powerful and faster than the cars built for the rally season that never happened

WhiteTruckMan 21:45 17 Oct 2012

The metro I saw was on display at a land rover dealers. I remember it because I bought a land rover from there. One of my more stupider purchases, buying something with a british leyland logo on it. (moulded into the cast aluminium rocker cover on the 2 1/4 litre petrol engine)

WTM

namtas 22:28 17 Oct 2012

The report indicated that the brakes failed, it looked like something more than that to me, it never appeared to scrub any speed off at all. I would have put it down to a failure of the fuel system linkage or computer jamming the fuel rack wide open.

WhiteTruckMan 22:43 17 Oct 2012

namtas

I don't think you fully appreciate the momentum involved in such a weight travelling at such a speed.

WTM

morddwyd 07:47 18 Oct 2012

"Still and all, it might make it even more interesting if they all had trailers on their backs!"

I have always thought it would be more of a spectacle with a 14 car transporter trailer behind it!

WhiteTruckMan 08:03 18 Oct 2012

I have always thought it would be more of a spectacle with a 14 car transporter trailer behind it!

....And have to make a delivery at selected points around the track...

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires