Trees to grow in a small garden

VNAM75 20:52 12 Oct 2009

I have a small area in my back garden and I want to plant 3 small/medium sized trees (say 10ft max). I want low maintenance and I'm quite keen on 2 fruit trees and a blossom tree. I want to plant ready trees not bulbs that will take years to mature. Where is the best place to buy and what are the likely pices?

MAT ALAN 20:59 12 Oct 2009

Go to your local garden centre they will give you all the advice and info you need...

Forum Editor 23:24 12 Oct 2009

that if you have a small garden, and want to grow fruit it's a good plan to go for something a little out of the ordinary. Why take up space with an apple tree when you can get such a wide variety in your local supermarket at reasonable prices?

That said, one of my recommendations would be a Black Mulberry. There are White and Red Mulberries, but the Black variety is the one to go for. The tree looks superb when kept to about 8-10 feet by pruning, and if you buy a young one it will very soon look interesting and 'old'. The fruits are very attractive, and absolutely delicious. Mulberries like to be in full sun, and they don't like damp conditions. If you live in the North of the country it will need to be in a sheltered position.

Next, I would go for a peach. You can get a variety called 'Darling' that will be perfect if kept at about 10 feet, and you'll have peach blossom and delicious fruit. The variety is self-fertile, so no problems with fruiting.

For blossom, why not try a Camelia? The stunning blossom will come very early in the year, and will completely cover the bush, which you can gently prune to maintain a height of 8-10 feet. Camelias are evergreen, and will do really well if you make sure that they don't get early morning sun after a frost.

I have a hardy hybrid variety called 'Superscent', which as its name implies has a glorious scent. It's a pale pink, and looks magnificent in full flower. The key to growing Camellias is to dig a hole and fill it with ericaceous compost, and feed with a special Camellia food at least once a year.

I got mine from click here

and you can get the fruit trees from click here

VNAM75 00:29 13 Oct 2009

Forum Editor, thanks a lot. Some excellent ideas and suggestions. My knowlege of garden trees is virtually zero. I will visit a few local garden centres and have a look for myself.

Belatucadrus 00:47 13 Oct 2009

click here
For another option, if a little more labour intensive.

Quickbeam 08:03 13 Oct 2009

Belatucadrus's idea is the one I was going to suggest. You get your fruit trees that you want without losing much, if any garden area and get a lot of visual depth.

Loads of pictures click here

BT 08:23 13 Oct 2009

What ever you do DON'T get a Sumach (Stagshorn). Beautiful as they are, you will be plagued with runners popping up from the roots anything up to 10/12 feet away from the tree. We inherited one from the previous owners and its a constant summer job to keep removing the little trees that keep popping up in the lawn and borders.

sunnystaines 09:21 13 Oct 2009

get a fig tree, plant in sunny spot.

wee eddie 10:43 13 Oct 2009

Beware of the Fig.

If the roots are not totally restricted, it will take over the Garden and never fruit.

lotvic 10:55 13 Oct 2009

Camellias don't do well in alkaline soil, they need acidic soil.

Quickbeam 12:44 13 Oct 2009

"Beware of the Fig." Yes they make you as regular as clockwork... not a problem, unless you're a late riser:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?