Travelling to work 'is work'

Dragon_Heart 03:48 11 Sep 2015

the European Court of Justice has ruled that Time spent travelling to & from first and last appointments by workers without a fixed office should be regarded as working time.

click here only problem with this is employers may simply provide them with 'a fixed office' ?

The

spuds 10:30 11 Sep 2015

I wonder how this will effect the world traveller, and the distances it might take to reach the 'work site'!.

Also will it effect those people who spend part of their working week/month in the office at home or their employer's abode?.

Ungus 11:10 11 Sep 2015

This could be difficult for some employers years ago you could claim traveling time to and from jobs don't know if that is still the case.

Forum Editor 12:33 11 Sep 2015

I always bill clients for the time I spend getting to and from their premises - travelling is very much a part of my working day, after all, and an hour or so spent driving the M25 in the rush hour takes more out of me than the rest of the day spent working in someone's office.

wee eddie 12:50 11 Sep 2015

Years ago, when I was Articled to a Company of City Accountants. My employers expected us to start work at 9am, at no charge to them, wherever the Audit was. Some found this very difficult.

Dragon_Heart 00:03 12 Sep 2015

I once turned down a very lucrative job opportunity after I noticed the mileage on the company car they were providing OK it was a top of the range Ford Granada ( 3.0 litre I think ) but in only nine months the previous job holder had clocked up over 88,000 miles.

"I always bill clients for the time I spend getting to and from their premises " if you work freelance then that is 'normal' practice as is billing per hour or part thereof ! Time is money !

beeuuem 00:27 12 Sep 2015

Scotland leads - the world follows !

beeuuem 00:28 12 Sep 2015

I don't even know how I did that ! click here

Dragon_Heart 01:29 12 Sep 2015

I think it's OK to mention Scotland beuuemm @ this time of night as me thinks the FE has put on his bike clips and is on his way home :-)

"or their employer's abode" what type of employee are we talking about spuds ?

The next question is if Travelling to work 'is work' can you claim traveling expenses ?

morddwyd 10:09 12 Sep 2015

I always thought that it was grossly unfair that miners only got paid from when they arrived at the coalface, and not when they drew their lamp/tally.

Don't know about other coalfields, but in some of the South Wales pits men had to queue to get into the cage and walk/crawl maybe more than a mile to get to the face (no trams in the narrow coal faces prevalent there).

spuds 11:15 12 Sep 2015

The Cornish tin miner's didn't fair well neither, and perhaps those who ventured into Derbyshire didn't fair well neither!.

"The next question is if Travelling to work 'is work' can you claim traveling expenses ?"

I knew one person who claimed 25 hours in a day, and actually got paid it ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?