Trafalgar Day

Jak_1 20:39 18 Oct 2007

Sunday October 2st is Trafalgar Day, aniversary of Britains most important Naval victory. How will you celebrate? I shall imbibe a tot (Naval measure) of 'Real' Pussers Neaters poured from the stone flagon that it came in and true naval tradition toast the Queen whilst remaining seated. This honour was granted to the Royal Navy by Queen Victoria in her own words 'Gentlemen of the Royal Navy remain seated, your loyalty is beyond reproach'. The reason for standing at the Loyal Toast is to show that a person was carrying no side arms that could harm the monarch.

youtruth 21:08 18 Oct 2007

And the reasons for grovelling, bowing or kneeling down?

Was it a Maundy Thursday coin scramble?

Jak_1 21:10 18 Oct 2007

And the reasons for grovelling, bowing or kneeling down?

Was it a Maundy Thursday coin scramble?

Eh! What has Maunday Thursday got to do with Trafalgar Day?

FungusBoggieman 21:15 18 Oct 2007

I wonder, with the way our country is at the moment will any one know our history and ever hered of that sacred day when nelson beat the french and spanish on the 21 oct 1805, one of our greatest days to remember.

youtruth 21:23 18 Oct 2007

I'm simply looking for a rational and mature reason as to why so many are still behaving in a sickening subservient manner to other mere mortals.

FungusBoggieman 21:31 18 Oct 2007

SUBSERVIENT implies the cringing manner of one very conscious of a subordinate position.
In a sickening behaving us lesser mortals are a war bearing race abusing and destroying anything in our way.
and to you I say
THATS JUST HUMAN NATURE.

Jak_1 21:55 18 Oct 2007

The Queen just happens to be the Head Of State of Great Britain and of the Comonwealth and as such deserves respect, unlike some other Royals!
The Royal Navy is the only branch of the Armed Forces that do not swear allegience to the Queen as it is taken for granted.

Jak_1 22:46 18 Oct 2007

Further to my post on the Loyal Toast, the actual reason for the Royal Navy remaining seated is still unclear but this from the Royal Navy Museum website give a few possible explanations:

The Loyal Toast
STAYING SEATED THROUGH THE LOYAL TOAST - A NAVAL TRADITION

There are numerous stories reputed to have started the naval tradition of officers having the privilege of sitting during the loyal toast to the Sovereign. Many cannot be substantiated, but remain current to this day.

1. Charles II : King Charles, on his return from exile in Holland, in May 1660 was aboard the Naseby, re-named Royal Charles. He is reputed to have bumped his head on a low beam in the cabin when responding to a toast. He is reputed to have exclaimed: “When I get ashore, I’ll see that my naval officers run no such risk, for I will allow them from henceforth to remain sitting when drinking my health.

2. Restoration: The Navy had a large influx of gentlemen volunteers who formed a considerable mess. As they were not seamen by upbringing, they would have had great difficulty keeping their feet.

3. George IV: As Prince Regent, while dining aboard a warship is reputed to have exclaimed as the officers rose to drink the King’s health, “Gentlemen, pray be seated. Your loyalty is above suspicion.” The Prince was at constant variance with the King and favoured the Whig Opposition, but it is a matter of speculation as to whom their loyalty was directed. The Navy generally consider that loyalty to the person of the Sovereign takes precedence over political ties.

4. William IV: While he was Duke of Clarence, he was dining on a man-of-war and is also reputed to have bumped his head on a deck beam when he stood up.

Probably more realistic are the following:

5. It was impossible to stand upright “between decks” except between the beams, so consequently only every third person would have been unable to stand erect.

6. The table was often fixed to the deck against a settee, so it would have been impossible for half the officers to stand with any degree of dignity.

All officers must stand if the National Anthem is being played during the toast.

Officers of the Royal Yacht also stand as a distinction of the honour serving on the Yacht.

In 1966, the Queen extended the privilege to Chief and Petty Officers of the Royal Navy.

There was also the concensus that it was Queen Victoria also that gave permssion for the Navy to remain seated. Always a good topic for debate, hic!

Forum Editor 23:18 18 Oct 2007

would still want to celebrate a military victory that happened 200 years ago, but if it makes you happy.....

Perhaps the French should have gone all romantic and sloppy last Sunday, on the anniversary of the Battle of Hastings.

Jak_1 23:23 18 Oct 2007

"I can't understand why anyone

would still want to celebrate a military victory that happened 200 years ago, but if it makes you happy....."

It's called tradition; far too many of our traditions are being swept aside and forgotten. Do you say the same about Armistic day and Remeberance Sunday? Do you want to see those forgotten after 200 years?

youtruth 23:26 18 Oct 2007

< Eh! What has Armistic day and Remeberance Sunday got to do with Trafalgar Day? >

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017