"Traditional" Christmas Turkey.

laurie53 11:11 19 Dec 2008

This is when just about everyone refers to the "traditional" Christmas turkey, yet turkey is surely no more traditional than artificial Christmas trees?

Until I was well into my twenties, certainly after I was married, the traditional fare was chicken

The gentry had a goose and pit deputies and overmen (I come from a coal mining area, I'm sure you have your local equivalent) might have stretched to a capon.

I've nothing against turkey, but it isn't by any means traditional, it's yet another import from across the pond.

Quickbeam 11:19 19 Dec 2008

I quite agree, we rarely have turkey, about twice in 10 years is the norm.

This year for 14, it's rib of beef and a goose stuffed with sage & onion mixed with hagis 50/50 & laced with malt whiskey, very tasty!

ventanas 22:49 19 Dec 2008

Nice to see someone else who can spell whiskey properly. I only drink it if there is a "e" in the spelling.

ventanas 22:50 19 Dec 2008

Sorry, meant to say that, now it's just the two of us, we will be having a chicken for Christmas. It's much nicer than turkey anyway.

rdave13 23:44 19 Dec 2008

As it's our family's tradition to have turkey for Christmas then it's turkey for us. Don't care where the tradition came from, turkey stuffed..and enjoyed for days and days and curry.

Stuartli 23:49 19 Dec 2008

It was a capon that was the traditional Christmas chicken dish - they are still readily available.

Best compromise, we've found, is a crown chicken or turkey because of the reduced waste and value for money.

Stuartli 23:50 19 Dec 2008

There's not that much on a goose and they are very greasy...:-)

Fine if your chest is not too good - you can rub it in...

Jim Thing 23:52 19 Dec 2008

I think 'whisky' is the standard form but the Irish variety is normally spelt 'whiskey' (according to Fowler's 'Modern English Usage' at any rate).

Quickbeam 08:36 20 Dec 2008

I'll drink both, the only reason I spelt it with an 'e' is because I'd recently bought a bottle of Jameson Redbreast and it was in my mind at the time;)

ventanas 10:47 20 Dec 2008

I only ever drink Irish. My father (from Galway) would never have anything else in the house.
I have a bottle of Jameson and a bottle of kilbeggan to enjoy over the holidays.

ashdav 11:10 20 Dec 2008

As I have understood it Scotch is called whisky and anything else eg. Bourbon,Irish is called whiskey.
This is because whisky can only be used to describe a drink made in Scotland and is a protected name.
Whiskey is used as a workaround to avoid court action.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?