Tour de France starts in Yorkshire

wee eddie 13:54 03 Jul 2014

This is the stretch through Wharfedale!Drystane walls

Although the Race goes through Wharfedale, this is not the road it goes down

Aitchbee 16:47 03 Jul 2014

I reckon that all of the oversees competitors will not notice that slight faux-pas as their concentration will be more focussed on staying on the saddle and clocking a fast stage time.

Aitchbee 17:57 03 Jul 2014

Buttertops Pass looks rather daunting.

click here

Forum Editor 18:09 03 Jul 2014

Aitchbee

It's Buttertubs, not Buttertops, and I found it daunting just walking up the road, never mind riding a bike up.

The buttertubs are dramatic sink-holes just to the side of the road, although I doubt that any Tour de France riders will see them.

csqwared 20:22 03 Jul 2014

Think Crag Vale might be a slightly tougher test, it's supposed to be England's longest continuous gradient, rising 968ft in 5.5mls. Just been trying to check Buttertubs on th O.S. site and, as near as I can tell, climbs 600ft in about 3mls. Whichever you choose, it's a tough pedal!!

Aitchbee 22:59 03 Jul 2014

French animation.

click here

mbc 22:59 03 Jul 2014

Cannot see the spectator value in cycle racing. Saw the Milk Race once pass through our town, all gone in seconds. Next door neighbour has gone to see them in Dales with his mates from the rugby club, but it is just an excuse for a boozy camping trip. They will likely be sleeping it off when the pelican passes.

sunnystaines 15:07 04 Jul 2014

best seen on tv

Quickbeam 20:13 04 Jul 2014

I've watched it on TV for years, so it's something I don't want to miss being nearly on my doorstep, even if it will all be over in minutes.

I'm just looking for an off road route to bike to a view point on Sunday and make a few hours of mountain biking out of it to justify the effort!

Listening to R2 this mid-day, I discover that it's as big as F1 coming to town, most local businesses are benefiting greatly so far. This is how one cafe en route has taken up the hype to great effect.

Aitchbee 20:40 04 Jul 2014

The above-mentioned cafe should be ... easy to spot.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:58 04 Jul 2014

Think I might watch tomorrow and see how many competitors turn out with a flat cap and a whippet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone