Tornadu Ejection

morddwyd 20:06 27 Jan 2011

Good news that both crew ejected safely from a Lossiemouth Tornado today

click here

However, the reason for my post is that my last job in the service was in charge of ejection seat servicing at Lossie.

Now that was a few years ago, so why do I feel this small sense of reflected pride and satisfaction?

Nothing I ever did could possibly have had any effect on today's success, and yet I'm pleased.

Why?

gengiscant 20:07 27 Jan 2011

Lossiemouth-soon to be no more perhaps?

peter99co 21:06 27 Jan 2011

At least you pack your own parachute or does that not apply to Tornado crew?

Good to know they are safe though.

morddwyd 21:18 27 Jan 2011

Parachute packing is a highly skilled job done by full time professionals.

I've done it for torpedoes, but never for people!

john bunyan 21:23 27 Jan 2011

On a free fall course you pack your own parachute - under supervision for a period. I have jumped using my own packed parachute (very carefully packed!)I am not talking of the ones used on an ejector seat.

peter99co 22:27 27 Jan 2011

In the battle of you vs gravity, the best result you can ever hope for is a draw

morddwyd 07:08 28 Jan 2011

Whether it be parachuting or knitting a hobbyist will always take more care, and sometimes be more skilful, than a professional!

Bingalau 08:06 28 Jan 2011

I'm pretty sure john bunyan's parachuting wasn't a hobby, more like a business! But I know what you mean, I would rather decorate my own house than allow some of the so called professionals to do it.

Of course when you are doing something that means your life depends on it, then you will do your damndest to get it 100% correct.

Bingalau 08:09 28 Jan 2011

morddwyd. You felt pride because you probably passed on your knowledge to others, who in turn passed it on to the present day ejection seat servicers/engineers/whatever? So take great pride in being proud..

wiz-king 08:29 28 Jan 2011

Fortunately the crew are safe but it's going to hit the rest of us in the pocket to buy a new plane!

morddwyd 09:13 28 Jan 2011

Actually in this case it's a saving - we don't have to pay somebody to scrap it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?