Tombstoning or Coaststeering? Isle of Man Advert

lotvic 23:34 03 Sep 2010
Answered

I was shocked, I have just seen the tourist advert for Isle of Man on Channel 5
It shows a man seemingly 'Tombstoning' (jumping off a cliff into the sea) as one of the leisure activities under the guise of 'coaststeering'
click here
On mainland England there have been numerous attempts to stop youngsters jumping into the sea from the cliffs as it is so dangerous. There have been deaths and serious injuries.

You can watch the advert on the tourist website click here

peter99co 23:45 03 Sep 2010

Yes and when they do get injured they expect to be rescued free of charge by the emergency services. They should be given a large bill.

If we call and use an ambulance the bill is sent to you. I got mine delivered in the hospital ward!

lotvic 23:51 03 Sep 2010

Edit: typo,It should have been spelt 'coasteering'

v1asco 07:27 04 Sep 2010

They do do it off Pembroke as well, but it is with supervision click here. This seems a pretty organised activity so it may be safe, using local knowledge.
as doed the IOM one, click here
Not something for me though

morddwyd 08:33 04 Sep 2010

There have also been numerous attempts to stop people swimming in dangerous areas too.

However, in safe areas with adequate supervision it, like tombstoning, is a perfectly acceptable leisure activity.

Another example of wanting to ban something the majority enjoy because of the behaviour of a few idiots.

michaelw 09:16 04 Sep 2010

The ex-Army major, 75, who leapt off Durdle Door tells his critics to go take a running jump.
click here

Silly old sod.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:16 04 Sep 2010

One of my local footie teams players broke his leg in a game last week so we had better ban football as well /eyes raise.

G

michaelw 09:19 04 Sep 2010

...One of my local footie teams players broke his leg in a game last week so we had better ban football as well /eyes raise...

I'm no expert but I'd imagine a footy player couldn't end up paralysed:

Man who was left paralysed after tombstoning 'moment of madness'
click here

Quickbeam 09:24 04 Sep 2010

I like the IOM, but the cliff diving doesn't quite have the same glamour appear as doing it in Acapulco click here

Bingalau 10:23 04 Sep 2010

Very backward place the I.O.M. They still have motor bike racing and dangerous things like that. (T.I.C.)

The one thing they stopped which they should have continued with was the "Birch". (I will switch off now before all the "Do-gooders" start replying.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:30 04 Sep 2010

'I'm no expert but I'd imagine a footy player couldn't end up paralysed'...correct, you are no expert but rugby players do become paralysed, so let's ban rugby. click here
G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?