Tom Toms Mapping ~ most disappointing

wee eddie 13:25 02 Aug 2009

I wish to point out to others that may be considering buying a SatNav that it is not only the Hardware that one needs to appraise.

I have a TomTom One XL, a superb piece of kit.

However, their mapping software is something of a joke. I gather that they purchase it from a third party, who, when notified of an error try to blame others rather than correct it.

In the past 6 months I have tried to use their software to make changes and sometimes notified them of errors by e-mail. In one case an Estate built over 30 years ago is still unlabelled and in another case, half a village has incorrect road names.

I can understand New Estates taking a while to add, but Estates that have been in existence for a whole generation should be annotated correctly.

And they have the gall to charge £25 per year for updates to this faulty product.

Confab 13:35 02 Aug 2009

Have you tried this?

click here

wee eddie 13:42 02 Aug 2009

I have informed them of the errors, they are the Cartographers.

I do not intend to start changing the naming of some 40 Roads and drawing roads on maps that they have just erroneously removed.

The very least that they can do is to check with Google Maps.

How many times £25 do you think that are they charging, each year, for Updates?

ulrich 17:33 02 Aug 2009

Before mobile phones and Sat Navs were invented, I must admit a good map would cost less.

anchor 18:17 02 Aug 2009

Firstly, TomTom are not now obtaining mapping from a 3rd party; they purchased Teleatlas earlier this year.

You are correct about some mapping errors taking sometimes years to correct. I regularly read a TomTom forum and occasionally see reports of this. This is quite inexcusable.

However, one must be fair and realise that exactly the same problem applies to the other main SatNav map supplier, Navteq. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I have found that almost all the time my TomTom does an excellent job. To describe their maps as a joke is most unfair.

IClaudio 19:52 02 Aug 2009

Hear, hear!

I've tried many SatNav units over the past 4 years, buit-in and stnadalone, and TomTom is way better than any of the others. Yes, some roads don't appear, but use a little commonsense, and you'll get to where you're going, which is what they are about.

Paper maps are pretty to pore over in your living room, but this is the 21st Century and SatNav is an excellent tool. You can indeed consult a printed map while you're driving, but this is a) impractical (try it in the middle of Leeds...) and b) illegal.

In my view, SatNav is the second most important invention of the last 25 years, after the mobile phone... oh, OK and the CD.

wee eddie 04:37 03 Aug 2009

All of them buying Annual Map upgrades.

£50,000,000 p.a.

OK, so half of them don't bother to Upgrade their maps and use the original one supplied

Only £25,000,000 p.a.

With only 1/4 of that income they could afford to check their maps in the way Nicholsons do. By putting a team of bods on the ground and checking every few years.

They are doing a very slack job and getting away with it because it's only £25 each every year and people don't expect new stuff to be the same standard as the old stuff.

The least they could do is sit down with Google Maps, MSN Maps or one of the Paperback Maps and copy them out.

Maybe hiring all those staff would cut into the Directors Bonuses! That would never do!

Chegs ®™ 13:23 03 Aug 2009

Easy (cheap) solution,use the sat-nav to get where your going,and a paper map to locate the streets if it is needed because the sat-navs wrong.

laurie53 10:11 04 Aug 2009

I'm a bit surprised to note that TomTom 7 software only version only works on certain devices.

If it is compatible with Windows Mobile 6 then I would have expected it to work on all devices running that o/s.

After all, you don't get,for instance, software that will run under Vista on Dell computers but not on HP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?