To0 hot to play football in Qatar (2022 World cup).

Chronos the 2nd 08:50 10 Aug 2013

Have I missed something here?

It is seemingly going to be too hot to play football in Qatar in the 2022 World Cup as it can get to around 50°C and averages 40°c. Surely this is something that would have be known prior to the tournament being awarded to Qatar?

Story

Forum Editor 09:20 10 Aug 2013

"Surely this is something that would have be known prior to the tournament being awarded to Qatar?"

Undoubtedly, but we are where we are.

**"The head of Qatar's organising committee, Hassan Al-Thawadi, says his country is also willing to change their plans. "If it's a wish of the football community to have the World Cup in winter, then we are open to that," he said."**

Which seems to me to be a pretty fair-minded response. It isn't all about European football - Uefa has signalled its willingness to cooperate if the competition was moved to the Qatar winter, so I say to the FA 'stop whinging and deal with it'.

Quickbeam 09:34 10 Aug 2013

The possibility and implications of a winter tournament schedule should have been considered and settled before even considering Qatar as a host.

Quickbeam 09:35 10 Aug 2013

And what happened to the cunning air conditioned stadium plan, did Blatter forget to pin a tail on it...?

Aitchbee 09:36 10 Aug 2013

If they start the matches in 'the wee small hours' ie 3am - then they might get away with it.

... check out this week's weather forecast for Doha in Qatar.

click here

Chronos the 2nd 09:49 10 Aug 2013

The head of Qatar's organising committee makes a fair minded statement about changing plans?

What I want to know is why this is necessary? Surely all this should have been sorted out before the tournament was awarded? Could it be that Sepp Blatter and his cronies were far to interested in the 'hospitality' in all it's forms being offered? Rather than whether holding a major football tournament in the summer in a middle eastern country was perhaps not the greatest plan?

Quickbeam 10:29 10 Aug 2013

Blatter suffers from the same grandeur syndrome as Bernie Ecclestone in that they are both so obsessed trying to promote a sport for it's greater global glory in countries where the general population are living so far below the poverty line, they won't even know that the event has been and gone because so many don't have TV access, and don't even participate in it in any way below the level of the schools of the elite rulers.

It'll carry as much credibility as world class pheasant shoot held on a reclaimed pit tip.

flycatcher1 11:07 10 Aug 2013

Money always talks

wee eddie 12:21 10 Aug 2013

I have been considering how to phrase this for quite a while!

It is just possible that those who made the decision, have allowed the benefits-in-kind to sway their decision more than the practicalities of running the competition.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:26 10 Aug 2013

wee eddie

I think you may have hit the nail square on the head.

Chronos the 2nd 12:43 10 Aug 2013

wee eddie

I hinted at the same with my words 'hospitality in all it's forms.'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?