Tiscali broadband

chelseafan 17:51 02 Jul 2006

Am I being fobbed of? I recently took out a broadband service with Tiscali's 1MB service. I chose Tiscali because i had every intention of upgrading the service as soon as I felt it was going to be of benefit too me. I was told by Tiscali, at the time of considering taking out the service, that the max line speed i could receive was 3.5MB. I accepted this as my intention was to only to upgrade to 2MB. Within a few days of receiving the service I decided to upgrade. After numerous attempts to do this on line and several phones calls to tiscali customer support I am now being told that whilst the line test may say 3.5 MB I can only receive 1MB. There response is almost one of 'too bad - you have 1MB and that's that!' Have others fell for this and are they allowed to sell products in this way?

Zaphod 3 19:40 02 Jul 2006

Tiscali at the moment only supply up to 2MB, from August they will be offering their max service, which is where you get the 3.5MB from.

Still look on the bright side I can only get 0.5MB.

spuds 20:03 02 Jul 2006

Check the Broadband Resource Availability Checker yourself click here That should tell you your line and exchange capacity, and what you should be able to obtain.

chelseafan 20:49 02 Jul 2006

Thanks Spuds, this is the response...

According to BT Wholesale, your line should be able to support a 3Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.

Standard ADSL RAG results:
You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 2.11km from the exchange (straight line distance).

There appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing DSL connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

Seems to suggest Tiscali are correct.

Many thanks; guess I'll just have to wait. 1MB aint bad after all.

georgemac © 12:59 09 Jul 2006

I am just in the process of migrating to Tiscali. I have chosen the 2 Mbps £14.99 unlimited service. I am currently with madasafish max and supposed to be on 3.5 Mbps and download speeds seem very fast.

I put my number in the availability checker, and get the exact same results as you in the details box, although the summary says I can get the Max service. I also get the compatibility message, so this seems to suggest to me problems with the availability checker.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?