Tiny house moths how to get rid?

martd7 15:20 11 Jun 2017

I posted about this some years ago over a winter period id find tiny 5mm moths\gnats that would disappear by March,only a few 10 at most,i wasn't sure what type of bug this was I think now its a common house moth,theres no signs of holes in clothes or carpets,they just sit around on the walls,this year theyre still around now for the first time and theres probably about 20 scattered through all the rooms

Apart from Vacuuming them up has anyone any other advice? I know its an odd question but its starting to "bug" me now!

Ive looked at moth zappers and sticky papers but not keen on the sticky paper idea and to but an electronic zapper in each room x4 is a bit expensive for me

Belatucadrus 15:36 11 Jun 2017

We've got one of the plug in electronic zappers and it is completely bloody useless, all flying insect including moths ignore it completely.

wee eddie 15:41 11 Jun 2017
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:00 11 Jun 2017

Bowl of lavender in each room, apparently they don't like the smell :0)

martd7 16:12 11 Jun 2017

Thanks

was looking into the plug in zappers but the reviews on Amazon aren't very good

Wee eddie

I dont think theyre clothes moths,the antennae displayed in that picture isn't on these moths in my house,plus theres no damage to carpets,clothes anything,thats why im thinking its the common "house moth"

wee eddie 17:40 11 Jun 2017

It's the larvae that do the damage. Too small to see easily although Carpet Beetles are easy enough to find during their final couple of months

martd7 18:09 11 Jun 2017

Fruitbat

Thanks I have just read lavender oil can be used as an insect deterrent

bumpkin 20:37 11 Jun 2017

Air rifle no good?

Belatucadrus 20:39 11 Jun 2017

Air rifle no good?

Good fun but generally does more damage than the moths.

bumpkin 20:49 11 Jun 2017

Ok then, lets try a different approach, spiders.

martd7 21:29 11 Jun 2017

Oh I have spiders but they don't seem up to the job

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros