Tin of paint more dangerous than a knife!

The Mountaineer 07:16 14 Feb 2010

This is the sort of thing that really gets my back up these days click here
and combining a couple of threads it seems that one has to assume that a Sikh carrying a knife would have been allowed onto the bus but the pensioner with a tin of paint is refused.

BT 08:26 14 Feb 2010

Once saw someone drop a can of paint on the platform of a Routemaster bus in London. Boy did it make a mess.

On a more serious note, I was following an estate car on my motor bike one night, when the car lost control and hit a tree. The car was being used by a Painter and had ladders and tins of paint in the back. The paint cans shot forward, hit the back of the front seats and exploded filling the car with paint. The driver staggered out covered from head to foot in gloss paint with it in his eyes and everywhere. I got him to the side of the road and sat him down till the ambulance arrived, but he was in quite a bad way with the paint stinging his eyes, and I ended up with quite a bit of paint on my clothes as well.

bremner 09:03 14 Feb 2010

This is a simple fact of life in the world in which we now live.

Imagine the man had got on the bus and had dropped the can covering a few fellow passengers. The paint damaging clothes and causing stinging the eyes.

You can bet your bottom dollar that one or more would have been sueing the bus company for allowing the paint to be carried on the bus.

We must accept that we are all responsible for the bus company having to take this course of action.

Forum Editor 09:16 14 Feb 2010

eff-ing and blinding and yet here I am, a pensioner, carrying some paint. It makes me feel like my human rights have been violated."

We don't have a "human right" to carry tins of paint on buses. I've never seen a can of paint dropped on a bus, but I once saw one fall off the counter at the checkout in a B&Q store. The mess was unbelievable, and two people in the queue got big splashes all over their clothes.

I support the bus driver. This has everything to do with consideration for other passengers, and nothing to do with Sikhs.

DANZIG 09:38 14 Feb 2010

I think the guy saying that his 'human rights' were violated was taking it a bit far, however, if I was the guy in question I would be pretty peeved if I was refused admittance on a bus because I was carrying a sealed tin of paint.

How was the guy supposed to get home??

The Mountaineer 10:22 14 Feb 2010

FE: You're right it has nothing to do with Sikhs, I used that recent thread as an analogy as to what constitutes risk and our response to it.
Your example of a dropped tin at a counter is spurious and relates to effect. For example,this thread has made me think about what the wife and I carried home from our weekly shop on Friday and it included 6 jars of chilli pickle, two tins of golden syrup and six bottles of wine (amongst all the other healthy stuff). Drop that lot at a checkout and the effects would be messy to say the least. If we stopped to consider the effects of what we carried being acted upon by external forces we'd never go out!
danzig, you beat me to it. How do you get a tin of paint or 6 jars of chilli pickle home? Presumably a taxi is ruled out unless the boot is constituted as a safe storage space. Delivery by the shop? Certainly, but probably impractical for small single items. No idea!

canarieslover 10:31 14 Feb 2010

What chance has any government got of getting us out of our cars and onto public transport when there are restrictions like this? I'll take the non green option and keep my car thanks.

Kevscar1 10:49 14 Feb 2010

So if you had been on the bus, this guy had dropped the tin and you got covered you would have said don't worry mate I can throw my clothes away and shave all my hair off, not your fault

johndrew 10:51 14 Feb 2010

Eggs, milk, flour, jars of various foods can all make mess, mark clothes and in some cases sting eyes. This is not to mention cleaning products such as bleach.

Given that a tin of paint should be banned from public transport, shouldn`t weekly shopping also be banned??

This stupidity is getting out of hand. People need to live and part of that is maintaining homes. I could understand it if someone wanted to load a bale of bricks or carry long planks of wood; but a sealed tin of paint.

jack 10:52 14 Feb 2010

Carry such item in a large bag
Go prepared with one of those 'Everlasting' ones
Then no body will know what is inside it---Unless of course bus stops are equipped with security checks - Now there is a thought - what did I write-will this be the beginning of a new trend

Of course if the strong bag were dropped and the lid popped- there would be some containment of the spill

This topic has been covered in this neck of the woods I believe too - some years ago

Input Overload 10:55 14 Feb 2010

I think the situation has been glossed over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017