Timje Well spent on PC ?

carmichy 21:40 16 Dec 2007

How many of us spend more time getting our PC's "optimised" than actually using it ?

Totally-braindead 21:46 16 Dec 2007

Not me.

I used to fiddle with it a lot but now leave it be, apart from doing regular virus and spyware scans and a defrag and an occassional run of ccleaner I just leave it alone.

That might sound like a lot but its not its the bare minimum in my opinion, only takes maybe 30 minutes a week and I use it perhaps 4 hours a day, maybe up to 6 hours a day.

Too long I know but its better than the rubbish on TV.

sunny staines 22:05 16 Dec 2007

mine slows if i do not keep it in check, boot up times and opening of programs has a noticeable difference.

Quickbeam 08:26 17 Dec 2007

It's coming up to my annual 'revert to basic ghost image' backup.

Then all the trial programs I don't use get chucked, any bits that the auto clean programs didn't get rid of get binned, any missed spam/antivirus updates get spotted and I then have all the MS updates re-downloaded onto a basic as first installed Windows.

I'm still on an XP Home version, I'm thinking about going up to Vista this time as the computer was built (with help from this site... of course!) to take that when it became available.

anskyber 10:00 17 Dec 2007

I tend to do house cleaning about once a month, things like getting rid of unused programs and running the odd spyware scanner.

Cymro. 10:04 17 Dec 2007

I was forever fiddling with something or other when I first had a computer but have now grown out of that and so just do some housekeeping 3every couple of months or so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017