Time travel

egapup 10:33 18 Oct 2009

Heard on the radio this morning that some professor reckons the Hadron accelerator is being sabotaged from the future.

jack 10:55 18 Oct 2009

I saw that on next Wednesdays News ;@}

birdface 10:57 18 Oct 2009

I think he has been watching to many Terminator films.

crosstrainer 10:59 18 Oct 2009

I hope he is not in any kind of senior position...That thing is dangerous enough without lunatics running amok.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:14 18 Oct 2009

The thing is knackered so they must have it in for us.

G

DANZIG 11:22 18 Oct 2009

The thing is, if our future selves ARE tampering with the thing, then we obviously survive whatever it does!

So nothing to worry about then!

OTT_Buzzard 11:37 18 Oct 2009

I'm not sure what you heard on the radio, but certainly a press article this week said that it could be the very particle that they are looking for (Higgs boson) that is caused the problem.

In a quantum twist to the tale, experiments from the future created the Higgs boson, which 'time travelled' back to the point at which the machine was started up, collided with other Higgs bosons being created and caused the machine to fail.

I got the impression that the chap who came up with the theory was being a little tongue in cheek.

Mr Mistoffelees 11:52 18 Oct 2009

Comments like this: "At allotted points around the tunnel, the proton beams cross paths, smashing into one another with cataclysmic energy." from the BBC article, are the kind of talk which sends some people into a panic about the experiments.

Far from the impacts being "cataclysmic", the energy released when you hit a panel pin with a small hammer is vast in comparison.

Forum Editor 12:49 18 Oct 2009

I can hear in the background?

As for the 'cataclysmic energy' statement - read Mr Mistoffelees last post. The Proton beams 'smash' into each other at enormous speed, but that alone isn't a worry.

Neutrinos 'smash' into our bodies at enormous speed, but we don't feel a thing. Each of us has about 50 trillion of them passing straight through us every second, and they don't stop at us - they pass straight through the planet as well. We feel nothing because neutrinos have virtually no mass. A proton has even less - 1,6726 x 10^(-27) kg in fact.

Panic over.

Legolas 13:11 18 Oct 2009

Your no fun at all there is nothing better than a juicy bit of science fiction gossip and doomsday theory malarkey to keep us all on the edge of our seats ;))

Forum Editor 13:14 18 Oct 2009

You're right - on with the doomsday theory malarkey!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017