Thule Airbase, Greenland nuke secret revealed

TopCat® 23:25 10 Nov 2008

Apparently, in 1968 a B52 crashed and a nuclear bomb was lost. The pilots recount what happened at click here

I remember the massive and expensive search for the one lost off the coast of Spain. A fisherman saw it fall by parachute into the sea but the naval authorities wouldn't believe him. Fifty days after the event, which was costing $1m dollars a day, they finally asked the fisherman to take senior officers out to where the bomb fell.

This he did and deep sea submersible equipment finally located and with some difficulty secured it. Undersea currents had kept the parachute fully open and the bomb itself was rolling around very near to a deep ravine. Once in there that bomb would have been lost, it was said at the time. TC.

royalflush 00:07 11 Nov 2008

yeah i saw this earlyer, its VERY intresting indeed, there is a island somewhere in tha pacific that has hundreds of LIVE unexploded bombs dropped there, they was just scuttled there & dumped there in the 60's, if you can find any photos of them id be very greatfull, i kinda wonder why they was allowed to just dump large scale bombs there..? getting back to the thread there is STILL one Nuclear Bomb missing..? oh right so what if it malfunctions..? or get into the wrong hands..? although its been decades but i suppose the story is now out...

Forum Editor 00:26 11 Nov 2008

isn't the hazard to life that some people imagine. You could handle it without endangering your life.

ronalddonald 07:53 11 Nov 2008

when the ice melts due to global warming we may become exposed to radiation.

Mind you there is a place the Americans dumped all there military hardware into the water, because it was cheaper to dump rather have transported back to the usa.

Lots of marine life there too.

laurie53 08:47 11 Nov 2008

"Mind you there is a place the Americans dumped all there military hardware into the water"

They're not the only ones. The UK has many sites at sea where munitions were dumped when no longer wanted.

I took part in such a dumping operation when the base I was serving on closed down.

It wouldn't be allowed now, but this was back in the fifties when the sea was used to dump many things including raw sewage.

€dstowe 08:54 11 Nov 2008

Is this why so many deep water creatures glow in the dark?

Not a serious question.

sunnystaines 11:17 11 Nov 2008

the thames near the sea has a sunken ship packed full of explosives to unstable to touch and would cause damage to a 10 mile radius. so a doc on tv earlier this year about it. Anyone live out that way comment on it as canvey island oil depot is near by.

Seth Haniel 11:27 11 Nov 2008

Yes that was covered on the Coast program on BBC2

- - -

I wondered why the ice cap was melting ;)

ventanas 12:03 11 Nov 2008

Yep, not too far from where I grew up in Southend. I used to sail out to it as it was exposed from time to time at low tide. Never thought twice about it.

mole44 12:21 11 Nov 2008

the Americans also lost a bomb/s of the coast of Spain in the late 60`s as well. As a thought makes loosing a pen drive look pretty trivial.

I am Spartacus 12:31 11 Nov 2008

The wreck near Southend is the SS Richard Montgomery click here

I think I'm about 6 miles away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?