Threat to 25,000 jobs in councils

peter99co 12:49 01 Mar 2010

Councils across England are predicting large falls in public spending over the next few years, a BBC survey has found.

click here

We really are in a mess in this country.

Did we get into spending so much in the past that we now need such drastic pruning?

folsom 13:08 01 Mar 2010

IMHO a hell of a lot of councils are well overstaffed so cutting the numbers is way overdue and will save council tax payers some money albeit i doubt our bills will go down.

michaelw 13:58 01 Mar 2010

...IMHO a hell of a lot of councils are well overstaffed so cutting the numbers is way overdue and will save council tax payers some money albeit i doubt our bills will go down...

Unfortunately the cuts will mean far less council spending on things like essential services for the old, vulnerable and children. Roll on the election and get these idiots out of power asap.

peter99co 14:38 01 Mar 2010

Communities Secretary John Denham has told the BBC that local councils that say they are cutting jobs are doing so out of choice, and not because of a lack of government funding.

Really!

click here

Monoux 14:43 01 Mar 2010

Generally speaking when Local Councils cut costs then the grant from Central government is also cut on the basis they don't need so much because costs have been cut. The reality is that the cuts to these grants far outweigh the savings leaving local Councils to make up the shortfall by raising the Council Tax.

This neatly puts the blame on the Local Councils and the only saver is Central Government.

A prime example of Central Government manipulation is the bus passes for OAPS. The Government forced Local Councils to issue these free passes and said they would fund it. My Local Council was given a grant of approx £200k. The actual cost last financial year was £1.1m and who picked up the tab for the shortfall -- the local Council taxpayer.

Exactly the same thing is happening with sites for travellers-- Central Government demanding they be provided but unsufficient cash given to pay for them in full.

Monoux 14:55 01 Mar 2010

michaelw--

"...IMHO a hell of a lot of councils are well overstaffed so cutting the numbers is way overdue and will save council tax payers some money albeit i doubt our bills will go down..."

I think you will find that behind the scenes in the offices most Council workers actually work hard for their money.

For several years many vacancies have not been filled leaving less peoole to do the work. The workloads themselves have increased as a result of Central Government red tape.

They are now to be hit by a pay freeze but their living costs have gone up the same as everyone elses, so effectivley pay cut.

Not a good place to be working at the moment.

peter99co 19:19 01 Mar 2010

Up to 50% of the workforce at Walsall Council could go if government spending cuts reach 10%, its leader has said 5,000 of the council's 10,200 workers could lose their jobs if the government imposes spending reductions of 10%.
Mr Bird had earlier said up to 8,000 staff may go but admitted to BBC News he had miscalculated staff numbers.

Monoux 20:07 01 Mar 2010

Apparently of 49 councils so far reviewed approx 25,000 jobs are under threat out of 246,000 or roughly 10%

If this 10% figure was applied to all Council staff the job losses would be approx 186,000

Brown is saying this will not impact on services but he has said in the recent past there is no recession and there will be no job losses in the public sector.

If anyone thinks that number of staff can be cut and the effects not felt they are in need of some serious therapy.

I wonder if there will be a 10% reduction in the number of MPs

Grey Goo 20:27 01 Mar 2010

I am over 65 with a bus pass and I pay Council Tax too, probably a lot more than others. This Freedom pass is pretty much the only concession that I get for being of Pensionable age, apart from the State Pension such that it is.

Grey Goo 20:31 01 Mar 2010

Could it be that the looming Public Sector Pension funding liability might have some bearing on this situation.

folsom 20:34 01 Mar 2010

Monoux..."I wonder if there will be a 10% reduction in the number of MPs"

According to Dave the rave, (if they get in) thats exactly what he is saying...but then again he also said he would have a referendum on the EU but he changed his mind on that one, so make of that what you will.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Aardman's new YouTube channel to share the work of independent animators

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017