thinking out of the box

lofty29 19:51 05 Mar 2009

I see that once again the subject of parents getting the school placement they want has reared its head. Am I simple or surely a solution would be for schools to have an area of hardstnding plus a playing field, with a small admin permanent building then ship extra facilties and teachers in and out as needed. With modern technology there is no need for mobile classrooms to be primtive, and services could be on a plug in basis, all carried out during the summer holidays, in addition the classrooms could be taken away during the holidays for refurbishment.

lotvic 23:22 05 Mar 2009

An excellent idea that should be made more use of; they are called portaclassrooms and are made by Portakabin click here

Chegs ®™ 02:48 06 Mar 2009

The problem with Portakabin type classrooms would come from the present-day parents (who's opinions of them are based on what they used when they were at school) objections.The local primary school has several of these "temporary" structures(temporary in the instance of some being 20+ years old) and even the Local Authority have said they will be replaced as they are only "temporary"(usually hear most of these "temporary" claims in the papers report of vandalism)

These classrooms at the school have all they require for school usage,but are a little on the cool side within during cold weather and uncomfortably warm during sunny spells.If they were replaced with more modern Portakabins I'm sure this problem would disappear,but this wouldnt reconcile the parents thoughts and probably give rise to further complaints that they are just a waste of money & should be removed and proper bricks & mortar be used to replace them.

newman35 05:16 06 Mar 2009

Even more important might be the idea of 'moving' teachers with these classrooms.
Would they still feel part of the school, or just 'temporary' - ready to be lifted to somewhere else at any time? Hardly the best recruitment aid to attract good teachers - "Come and teach in our portaclassroom" - does have a certain 'ring' to it, I suppose!!

oresome 10:32 06 Mar 2009

Add capacity to a successful school and you may change the whole dynamics.

A successful school is down to good leadership, good teachers, well brought up pupils and parents that care. With a high percentage of such qualities amongst the mix, the school will succeed.

Dilute the mix below a critical level and everyone gets dragged down.

Simsy 12:27 06 Mar 2009

Excellently put!

Regards,

Simsy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?