Think Bike !

Dragon_Heart 19:55 19 Aug 2008

I think the new adverts to remind bikers of hidden or unforeseen dangers is a good idea.

They may however have missed out some situations :-

People opening their car doors without looking.

Parents letting their kids out on the offside of their vehicles.

Train spotters parking just below the brow of a blind bridge to take numbers and / or photographs.

Half bricks falling off unsecured loads into face of motorcyclist. My helmet cost me two weeks wages at the time but it was worth every penny.

Boy / girl racers thinking they can outperform a 1000 cc super bike.

Spilt oil / petrol left in garage forecourts, that's what the buckets of sand are for NOT for your fag ends.

Any others ?

laurie53 20:03 19 Aug 2008

I have actually experienced the classic of following a lorry with a 4" diameter stone wedged between the two offside rear tyres!

Just how far should you drop back? If the tyre flexes half way up the arc you could be looking at fifty yards or more!

NewestRoyWidd1 00:45 20 Aug 2008

Well said Dragon_Heart;I can relate to the boy racer point,I think its a dent to their pride when they see a bike near by and they have to be seen to beat it.
Fortunately I'm at the age now where I let them get on with it,my safety is more important to me.
As for hidden dangers etc.I once had a wood pigeon drop out of a tree onto me,causing a major off,does that count?

Dragon_Heart 02:55 20 Aug 2008

NewestRoyWidd1
Yes as you get older it thankfully takes away that stupid competitive edge. My favourite in my younger years was to let them pass, on the next straight overtake them, wait for them to catch up then drop a gear and take off like a scalded cat.

Alive or dead the wood pigeon counts in my book. I heard one story about a biker who went camping, set off the next morning and a few miles on his tank bag started to move, he looked down to find a squirrel heading for his crotch.

aurie53
And the rest. Been in the metal box following a group of bikers and a stone lorry. The back two tyres burst sending shards of tyre all over the carriage way. The stone missed us all but one poor gal got a lorry tyre around her front wheel and she was off big time.
The lorry driver was more concerned about being late than the biker .... he was arrested for his own safety.

I always thought dispatch riders in London were a bit mad but the new breed of scooter riders are 100% certifiable. They are not bikers they're lunatics.

laurie53 07:38 20 Aug 2008

"My favourite in my younger years was to let them pass, on the next straight overtake them, wait for them to catch up then drop a gear and take off like a scalded cat."

My second bike, in the sixties, no national top limit, would do 90 in third.

Oh the bliss of passing at eighty five and changing up as you got alongside!

Even did it to police cars on a few occasions, the usual result being them sailing past at about 120 a few hundred yards further on!

Quickbeam 08:24 20 Aug 2008

There's plenty of bikers that put themselves in sticky situations with cars, overtaking on double whites in a series of bends and then cutting in to miss oncoming traffic, passing between lanes of slow traffic at too great a speed, passing a car before a set of red lights and then braking at maximum force, which is far greater than the car that rams them etc, etc... Yes I do ride a bike too.

spuds 15:40 20 Aug 2008

But what about the 'old biker', who hasn't been in the saddle for years, then decides to purchase a modern high performance bike!.

Not a very good idea, according to the police and insurance companies, with many increases of fatalities and serious injuries in the reborn again sector of motorcyclists.

I was involved in a motorcycle incident a number of years ago. It was a classic Candid Camera caper, only more bone-crushing. A nice warm day, and had been for a number of days, until the weather changed to a short drizzle rain period which made the roads greasy. In a built-up area with congested traffic conditions, so only travelling at about walking pace. The rear wheel of the bike mounted a pedestrian crossing road stud, and bang the bike was flat on the ground, with part of me under it. Didn't appear spectacular at that precise moment, but it eventually resulted in various operations, with the after effects still with me today.

I have friends and colleagues who have had high speed motorcycle incidents, and lucky enough, they came out of it mainly unharmed, except for their pride.But I have also had friends and colleagues who are no longer with us or riding motorcycles.Bikes can be very dangerous, even in the right hands.

NewestRoyWidd1 16:10 20 Aug 2008

spuds;I can relate to your "candid camera"moment.Nothing worse than a brief spell of rain to make the road like a skating rink.
As for born-again bikers,it's so easy to forget just how powerful even smaller bikes are today compared to the ones they once rode.
I attend a police-led "Bike Safe"course every year to renew my riding skills,and find it very helpful.All the leaders are police motorcyclists with one or two riding instructors amongst them.

John B 17:07 20 Aug 2008

Manhole covers on bends; horse manure; white lines.

NewestRoyWidd1 17:59 20 Aug 2008

Bumble bees at any speed.

laurie53 20:19 20 Aug 2008

"As for born-again bikers,it's so easy to forget just how powerful even smaller bikes are today compared to the ones they once rode."

As I said earlier, my second bike, bought in 1960, woul do 90 in third gear, and was by no means the most powerful road bike available.

Think Rocket Goldie, most Vincents or an MV4.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?