The things they say these days

TopCat® 00:21 08 Feb 2009

Can't seem to find the thread about modern PC sayings so I'll post this tidbit here.

I nearly fell off my chair when I heard this one. It was during a radio discussion on obesity and its many causes, and they were speaking at this point about 'beer bellies' and excessive drinking in the nation.

In answer to a prompt, this lady said that "Anyone who was vertically challenged in that way have only themselves to blame" and so forth.

I've never heard that phrase before, have you? TC.

Stuartli 00:30 08 Feb 2009

Vertically challenged, which I presume is what you are talking about, to me has always meant lack of height or (to some of my friends) mountaineering.

However, there are other uses for the expression, which came as a surprise. See, for instance:

click here

click here

click here

Clapton is God 07:44 08 Feb 2009

Being vertically challenged and sporting a beer belly myself (it's actually a lack of exercise belly), I fail to see the connection between my height and the size of my belly.

Grump, grump.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:42 08 Feb 2009

If I drink too much I can become "vertically challenged" and if I really over do it then I become "horizontally proficient".

DieSse 12:35 08 Feb 2009

There no challenge in being short - it's something you can't change, so hardly a challenge.

If she meant obese or fat - she should have said so. What a silly person.

Monoux 12:49 08 Feb 2009

"If she meant obese or fat - she should have said so. What a silly person."
Trouble is Jeremy Clarkson has just been castigated for telling it like it is so we can't do that anymore

wiz-king 13:23 08 Feb 2009

She has obviously never read Tom Sharpe's book Ancestral Vices, about PORG's (People Of Restricted Growth).

Tom Sharpe is, if you like British humour at its best, an absolutely fabulous must. A story about a PC social researcher [they're all terrible] who goes to a quaint English village to - well, let's say that at a certain point he takes lodgings at the house of a dim-witted woman who is married to a dwarf. Only, our hero being PC, he calls him a PORG - Person Of Restricted Growth.
I remember I thought Tom Sharpe was brilliant, PORG indeed, what a naff thing that is, how terrible if the world turned into a place where people used such expressions in all seriousness.
I was listening to the radio a while ago and found out that in England a theatre group is rehearsing Snow White And The Seven Gnomes. *Shudder* Why gnomes? Because an association officially complained against the use of the word dwarf, an association comprised of – People of Restricted Growth. So the PORG’s got together and managed to have the play censored.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?