Things to do in North England

SG Atlantis® 23:15 19 Aug 2006

I'll be flying to Newcastle this week and then staying in Stockton.

I plan to visit the Metro-centre and the missus has chosen Preston Hall Museum, any other suggestions?

Apart from shopping and eateries, less money the better! We've a couple of young kids with us and also rely on public transport.

Thanks for any contributions.

Quiller. 23:22 19 Aug 2006

Beamish is worth a look. click here but pricey:-(

If you travel via the A1 to the metro centre, you will pass the Angle of the North. click here

SG Atlantis® 23:31 19 Aug 2006

Cool, that Beamish place looks like the North England equivalent of the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum.

It's added to the list...

Seen pictures of that Angel statue before - wouldn't mind seeing it up close.

Cheers.

VoG II 23:32 19 Aug 2006

The Quayside is worth a look - all done up for the city of culture (which Newcastle did not get).

Quiller. 23:41 19 Aug 2006

if you get into Newcastle, the walk over the winking bridge ( I said winking;-) )click here

On the otherside of the river is the Baltic mill arts centre. click here Both are free.

As is also the laing art gallery click here and the discovery museum click here. Both free.

sean-278262 00:03 20 Aug 2006

40 minutes south to The historic City of York. Museam of Trains, the castle and quite a nice place to visit as it is quaint.

Yorkshire Dales are just south of Stockton.

As you are near middlesbrough itself (my home away from home) I would advise trying Mima (Mboro institute of modern art), Teesside Park if your after somewhere to pass a few hours open till 8 in the evening (it is a reasonably sized retail park).

If you are after ice skating or swimming one evening then go to billingham (north of middlesbrough) and a place called Forum. Has both under one roof.

To be honest I cant think of anything else that has not been suggested already.

WhiteTruckMan 00:24 20 Aug 2006

a statue-sort of-of a steam train, complete with billowing clouts of steam, all done in brick. it sounds a bit daft if you havnt seen it, but its like something huge made out of lego, and I have to admit I was very impressed. its a heck of a sight. but its been a few years since I saw it. anyone else got any ideas what I'm blathering on about, or is it just time to lead the old fool (me) quietly away...

WTM

sean-278262 00:44 20 Aug 2006

click here

That one? Forgot about that in Darlington. It is worth a look.

anskyber 00:46 20 Aug 2006

Public transport, then the suggestions of York and Newcastle are good ones, Beamish also, a good family day out.

If you had transport then the north is brimming with opportunity. National parks of North York, The Dales, The Lakes (2 hrs) and Northumberland. But....please do not tell any one else.

WhiteTruckMan 02:40 20 Aug 2006

Thats the chap!!! Thanks.

WTM

g0slp 05:00 20 Aug 2006

Don't forget Durham City either
click here

particularly the Cathedral. There's a good, fast bus service (X1 from Middlesborough & Stockton) to Durham & Newcastle. Only problem is that the last ones on that route leave at 1700 :(

Some great suggestions already posted; Beamish, York, Yorkshire Dales, Newcastle/Gateshead. Preston Hall. WTM's suggestion of the 'Train' sculpture is certainly a cracker too.

Hartlepool Historic Quay click here is another one. Not too far from Stockton. There's a VUE multiplex + a Retil Park & assorted eateries there too.

Enjoy your visit to the North-East, whatever you do decide to visit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017