They'll all be playing 'Baker Street' tonight.

Forum Editor 22:07 04 Jan 2011

Gerry Rafferty has died.

click here

Mark5001 22:19 04 Jan 2011

Got a couple of his albums somewhere (still unpacked after moving 18 months ago). Loved some tracks such as "Baker Street" "Whatever's written in your heart" "The Ark" and "Stealin' Time".

Forum Editor 22:25 04 Jan 2011

The best album is 'City to City', and it sounds as if you have it.

WhiteTruckMan 22:36 04 Jan 2011

claim that bob holness was the uncredited player of the sax solo on baker street then I don't think I can be held responsible for my actions!!!

WTM

alB 22:45 04 Jan 2011

The track "Whatever's Written in your Heart" from City to City is one of my favourite songs, RIP Gerry ...alB

Mark5001 22:47 04 Jan 2011

Yes I do on CD and on vinyl, one of the few albums I kept on vinyl although I have nothing to play it on.

Forum Editor 23:02 04 Jan 2011

As we all know, the saxophonist was Raphael Ravenscroft.

Bob Holness dined out on the story quite often though, and did nothing to deny it.

Belatucadrus 23:15 04 Jan 2011

Bummer, I was only thinking about him a few days ago wondering how somebody so talented had vanished so completely. Seems the booze had quite a bit to do with it. Have to dig out the LP and wind up the gramophone again.

Forum Editor 23:43 04 Jan 2011

The booze had a very great deal to do with it, more's the pity. Gerry stopped doing live performances because - many people believe - he didn't trust himself to remain sober before going on-stage.

It's such a pity that someone so obviously talented descended into alcoholism, but he wasn't the first, and he won't be the last.

QuizMan 10:41 05 Jan 2011

The only Gerry Rafferty record that I own is a 45" single from 1970. He dueted with Billy Connolly under the name of The Humbledums. The song was called Shoeshine Boy, but I do not think it made it into the top 50.

It might be worth a few bob now though.

ella33 11:38 05 Jan 2011

Just joining in to say how sad everyone was to hear of this.

It seems that fame and dependency problems all to often go hand in hand but it does nothing to take away his musical talents. RIP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?