They don't build 'em like they used to.

TopCat® 17:01 03 May 2014
Answered

When it comes to white goods even the manufacturers admit that their products' longevity is no where near as good as it was in the past. read story here

Seems many of today's modern consumers are now resigned to the fact that their appliances will fail; just out of warranty usually when most of them do, right?

Not in this household I can assure you. Where it is economically viable to do so, and I can source the parts needed, then I will repair all that I can. It may be considered a 'throw away society' on the whole but I enjoy confounding the critics every time I can. :) How about you? TC.

bumpkin 17:55 03 May 2014

I believe in repairing anything if it is viable but it seems to me that most of today's products are so full of possibly unecessary electronics as to make it virtually impossible. I used to repair washing machines and tumblers quite easily when they were simple electrics and basic circuit boards.

I recently repaired a fairly new (out of warranty of course)flat screen monitor by replacing a few capacitors at a cost of £3. My washing machine failed at the same time, new module I was told by the engineer £110. No way I could repair that and It took days to get it as there are about 10 different types for my machine so it had to be ordered. This is the sort of thing we have these days and I think it is done purposly.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 03 May 2014

Just changed a 5 and a half year old washing machine cheaper to buy a new one than get a new chip for the old one.

First automatic washing machine lasted 15 yrs second set of brushes worn out and drum was starting to rust. Went through two sets of brushes (second set homemade), door seal and pump seal changed.

john bunyan 19:38 03 May 2014

Bought a Miele washing machine in Holland when I worked there. It lasted 17 years. Bought next one, also Miele in UK about 6 years ago with a 10 year Miele parts and labour guarantee. Expensive initially but worth it. I have a 15 year old combi microwave - Panasonic- great machine, could not get the same today.I have a Frigidare upright freezer that is over 30 years old - going strong.

Aitchbee 12:05 04 May 2014
Answer

My trained 'eagle-eye' is always lookin' out for unwanted 'white goods' [or anything else that might be useful, for that matter] that my neighbours chuck out 'cos they're not working. Nine-times-out-of-ten it's usually a simple fix ... like a 'blown-fuse' or a simple maintenance repair. If it's not a simple repair then I put it back exactly in the same space for the next weekly routine uplift.

flycatcher1 21:22 09 May 2014

Having read the link I checked the ages of our appliances and I was shocked. Chest freezer, 20 years, upright freezer 15 years, fridge 15 years, hoover 16 years , tumble drier 20 years. Hope that they don't pack up all at once.

We had a Miele washing machine for 15 years and replaced it with another of the same make three years ago. Mistake, the old one was better, much better. Just returned a kettle for money back - lasted four months.

Note, of the five appliances the first four were made in Germany.

bumpkin 22:16 09 May 2014

"Hope that they don't pack up all at once." unlikely, it is usually just 3 in rapid succession.

flycatcher1 21:54 10 May 2014

Thanks, bumpkin, I will remember that. Forgot to mention wife's car, a Mini, is 25 years old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone