There's no shortage of criticism of the

Forum Editor 12:30 15 Nov 2008

way some young people are mollycoddled and cosseted through life by their parents and by the state these days. There's often a lot of truth in it, which makes it doubly encouraging to see that not everyone sits around at home watching TV and eating junk food.

A sixteen-year old set off to sail single-handedly around the world today. click here

I wish him good luck - he'll need every ounce of determination and courage he can muster.

Bingalau 12:48 15 Nov 2008

Yes, I hope he makes it. Maybe he will encourage other youngsters to take on a real challenge.

birdface 13:03 15 Nov 2008

A bit young for this sort of endurance test.But you must admire him for attempting such a voyage.If he was my son I am afraid I would not let him try it.But I am sure we wish him the best of luck.

sunnystaines 15:44 15 Nov 2008

this write up sums up the average ferral family of today.
click here

Pineman100 15:45 15 Nov 2008

As you say, FE, full marks to the lad for his courage and determination.

But his parents deserve recognition, too, for their courage in letting him do it. As well as their huge concerns for his safety, they can't be oblivious to the fact that, if anything were to happen to him, they would be torn apart in the Press.

Cymro. 16:17 15 Nov 2008

Littlejohn and the Mail I should have known.
I wish someone would put him in a boat and let him drift off somewhere.

As for the young man in F.E. opening post I wish him all the luck in the world, he will need it. Lets hope all goes well for him and we see him making a safe return home to the UK and his family.

Youngsters are a much maligned bunch but it is all too often them who are out in places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Whatever we think of them it could be argued that they are what we have made them.

sunnystaines 16:24 15 Nov 2008

We need more kids like this today, but poor schools and parents make it harder for the kids to get motivated.

Spark6 16:28 15 Nov 2008

A very brave lad, I admire his courage immensely.

Having been in the Southern Ocean a few times, albeit on a much bigger 'boat', I don't envy him if he's going South of Australia. I look forward to seeing him return safely.

TopCat® 18:33 15 Nov 2008

I commend him for his adventurous spirit and courage and wish him God speed and success on his epic journey. TC.

Toneman 19:51 15 Nov 2008

Having read Neville Shute's "Trustee from the Tool Room" I can't help feeling the southern Pacific is the most dangerous sea area, also, when is the hurricane season in that area? Of course, he will presumably have the latest radio and navigational equipment, but, still, a colossal undertaking. Wish him well...

Kevscar1 21:22 15 Nov 2008

I wish him luck but I am surprised Health and Safety haven't stopped him

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie