Is there no end to this man's misery?

simonjary 11:54 28 Oct 2008
  Forum Editor 12:39 28 Oct 2008

that if more of us had half the love of our country that this man has it would be a slightly better place in which to live.

newman35 12:43 28 Oct 2008

That should be enough to secure a 'gong' for you, then! (;-)

Mike D 13:27 28 Oct 2008

FE

Hear, Hear!

Forum Editor 16:39 28 Oct 2008

That would be nice. Then I could be FEMBE

simonjary 16:43 28 Oct 2008

SirFE? FEOBE? FECBE?

johndrew 16:48 28 Oct 2008

`.. that if more of us had half the love of our country ..`

There are many who have that in common with Prince Charles. However, it is another sector of the public - perhaps even a minority - who are cynical enough to drag everything down and devalue the society that provides for them.

Kevscar1 17:18 28 Oct 2008

johndrew

However, it is another sector of the public - perhaps even a minority - who are cynical enough to drag everything down and devalue the society that provides for them.

Would that be the Government then.

Forum Editor 17:31 28 Oct 2008

and I'm the first to admit that his appeal is often extremely well disguised. That he's sincere about his love for his country is obvious though, and it must be frustrating to be in his position - waiting for something, but knowing that it will take the death of his mother to make it happen.

People like him have a contribution to make, but we're often the last to realise it. When I travel I meet people who tell me how lucky we are to have a Royal Family, and how envious they are of our history and culture. We don't make enough of all that, in my opinion. We have a country with one of the richest and romantic histories on the planet, our countryside is incredibly beautiful, and our cultural life is diverse. We have given the world so much (whilst admittedly taking a good deal from it), and we are still capable of making a valuable contribution.

Charles and his family are human beings, and like all human beings they're flawed. We criticise them and some of us despise them, but for better or worse and for the foreseeable future we're stuck with them. We might as well make the most of it, and recognise that we have something unique here - it's not all bad by any means.

Forum Editor 17:32 28 Oct 2008

What do you think - should that do the trick?

Now let me see, where did I put that top hat and tails...

Forum Editor 17:34 28 Oct 2008

Don't you think that by asking that question you're rather proving johndrew's point for him?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie