Is there a Latin scholar in the house?

Quickbeam 17:23 26 Apr 2015
Answered

Just a bit of fun with the bike club I'm in with a motto.

In English it's 'Too old to bounce, Too young to quit'.

The Google translator gives 'Senectute currentis, puer excedere.'

Altering the comma to full stop alters it drastically as does leaving the comma and using a lower case 't' on the second 'too'. And if you put the same phrase in an hour later, that gives a different translation. This morning I got 'senex et puer ad currentis excedere'!

Cross checking any of the words does give them acceptable Latin/English use. But which would be the best/correct Latin grammar?

Also I find that quit is an unchanged Latin word, so can I replace 'excedere' with 'quit', and keep the grammar correct (if it's correct in the first place)?

The advantage of keeping 'quit' in the translation, is that it would indicate that it is the English motto in Latin.

Like I said, just a bit of fun. I would see it on the web page as:

'Too old to bounce, Too young to quit'.

'Senectute currentis, puer quit.'

1]: [click here,%20Too%20young%20to%20quit.

Quickbeam 17:26 26 Apr 2015

It's just the sort of mental stimulation you need on a Sunday teatime I'm sure...

Gordon Freeman 18:12 26 Apr 2015

Not a Latin scholar but wondering if you should insert a semi-colon between the 2 words, and swap 'quit' for 'give up'? Quit's not very Latin sounding anyway: "too old to bounce; too old to give up" "etiam senex ad currentis; etiam senex ad usque"

Gordon Freeman 18:15 26 Apr 2015

sorry, last part should be "puer ad usque" (too young to give up)

john bunyan 18:30 26 Apr 2015

A long time since my O level Latin! Puer is normally Latin for a boy (Puella a girl) Another suggestion : Quoque senectus repercutio, quoque juvenis defungor

Quickbeam 18:49 26 Apr 2015

The interesting thing is that it's all quite imprecise, and a matter of the opinion of the translator!

Juvenis is a good word because we can see where the modern juvenile comes from and gives the clue to the modern that I'm looking for.

Bounce this morning translated into currentis, but now it's been translated to resulto. Resulto is also the translation in my dad's 1936 Coventry Grammar School book of Latin cleverness!

How can quit not be very Latin if it's an unchanged Latin word, meaning the same today as a thousand years ago?

Keep it rolling scholars:-)

OTT_B 19:44 26 Apr 2015

Quickbeam

Have a look here for the etymology of 'quit': click here may have some scope to vary the period of Latin that you can use!

You

john bunyan 20:08 26 Apr 2015

I do not believe Quit is a Latin word. Have a look at defungor. Google is not very accurate on this, I think.

john bunyan 07:46 27 Apr 2015

Having worried about it all night, I came up with : "Quoque senectutem resulto autem quoque juvenes relinquere sumus", with no punctuation - autem is "but" and sumus is "we are" from the verb "to be".

Maybe others will comment. "Bounce" is difficult....

john bunyan 08:00 27 Apr 2015

Maybe "Sed" for "but" is better? we then have:

"Quoque senectutem resulto sed quoque juvenes relinquere sumus",

In Latin, verbs are often at the end, as in "Juvenes sum sumus" - While we are young.

I seem to remember an old hymn which gives a lot of useful Latin: (Gaudeamus Igitur" see:

Gaudeamus

john bunyan 08:23 27 Apr 2015

Also "Resultare" - to resound - may be more correct that "Resulto" - I bounce. Therefore :

"Quoque senectutem resultare sed quoque juvenes relinquere sumus",

Resound is the nearest to bounce, but not exact.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?