Is there a crisis point?.

spuds 15:04 22 Aug 2014
Answered

Is this a good idea - should it have been done sooner - do people realise this is happening?.

At some time in our lives, mental health and care may effect most of us in one capacity or another, and we may not even realise, until we seek help?.

click here

Mr Mistoffelees 15:26 22 Aug 2014

Mental illness is not one of the current popular illnesses, like heart disease, cancer and dementia. Government therefore tries to ignore it and fails to ensure it is adequately funded.

bumpkin 16:10 22 Aug 2014

Unlike a physical illness it is difficult to define a crisis point How do you know if you are suffering from it or not and it can't be an easy thing to diagnose. It seems to be far less understood than other diseases which does not make it any less important. More funding and more research is needed in my opinion.

Aitchbee 17:26 22 Aug 2014

I reckon that the people who make the best mental health councillors and/or confidentes are the people who have already experienced their own personal mental health 'episodes' in their formative years [for instance] and who have learned to live a much normal and less stressful existance with appropriate treatments.

I would also agree [with one of the experts in spuds' link] that the onset of mental ilnesses usually occurs in childhood.

bumpkin 17:54 22 Aug 2014

*equitably one hopes *

Indeed as per this classic example click here

kad292 20:16 22 Aug 2014

As a night bus driver in London i am aware of the increased volume of people who are homeless and are suffering from mental illness,that suffering is etched in their faces and their dilapidated condition.A trend i have noticed is that they are getting younger with more teenagers appearing,this may have been the case years ago but not to this degree.

It is a national shame that these people appear to be abandoned.

bumpkin 20:53 22 Aug 2014

**It is impossible to get rid of all waste in all areas of government - and who is to say if Mental Health funding was substantially increased that there would not then be stories of waste in that field as well?

No doubt there would be wastage but on that basis do you not fund anything.

bumpkin 21:20 22 Aug 2014

* That is why we elect others to make these decisions for us - and with only finite resources not everyone can be catered for.

Of course there are finite resources. It is way in which these resources are allocated by the ones we elect that concern me but it seems we have little or no choice in the matter.

bumpkin 21:32 22 Aug 2014

The OPs post was about Mental Ilness, I do not wish to diversify into the politics. I do know people with mental illness and feel that we fail them in terms of understanding and care.

BillSers 08:40 23 Aug 2014

Mental illness has always been shunted under the carpet where minsters are concerned. In the 60s people could get sectioned on the mere whim of someone in authority which then meant the person had virtually no human rights at all. My parents used to lobby parliament to change the law to protect those with this illness for them to have more rights.

Nowadays someone who is having these problems, depending on the severity, who can be looked after by a Community Mental Health team can have a social worker, maybe a CPN if they require medication by injection and a Care Plan which is regularly reviewed. But the rub is lack of funding and resources are stretched.

Even the police still have not had proper training on how to deal with someone who is mentally ill and causing aggravation and can often become too heavy-handed in such cases.

Luckily mental illness isn't quite so stigmatised as it once was, but someone who experiences it can still be 'labelled'.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 23 Aug 2014

What is "Normal"?

What is Normal to some is Odd to others e.g. computer geeks are odd to the sports jocks and vice versa.

your only mad if your poor, if your rich then you are eccentric :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?