IS there any point to buy a car..??!!

charmingman 23:15 06 Jun 2008

UNREACHABLE fuel cost's & the basic's of running a car is there any point in buying one..? my wife has just passed her test & finds that there simply isnt any point in her buying a car due to the NEW & "HERE TO STAY" price's we have NO yes thats NO car/s but she wanted to buy one to get the shopping ETC but its simply cheaper going to ASDA & paying for a taxi...What a wonderfull world we live in eh"
IMHO i wonder if the UK goverment would let the high tax's on fuel SLIDE...I doubt it,it seems so silly when they have the answer to helping the economy back but they stand there ground on hight tax's...

rdave13 23:23 06 Jun 2008

First thing is congrats that your wife has passed her test; well done.
For the rest of the rant you have my sympathy as we're all in the same boat..

charmingman 23:51 06 Jun 2008

"rdave132
Thankx m8 i appreciate you reply...As regards to the UK goverment & those that set the tax levels..they "Bite the hand that feeds them"..PERIOD!!!

But throw them enough rope &.....!!!
(They'll hang themselves)

Chegs ®™ 01:24 07 Jun 2008

Interesting point you made about it being cheaper by taxi,their tariff is set by the council and is reviewed periodically.

Quickbeam 07:58 07 Jun 2008

There is no doubt that a second car in a household for shopping, going to the doctors etc is not economically viable Vs a private hire/taxi. This is where possibly we could accept the limited range of an electric alternative vehicle that only does local journeys.

If we started to accept them for these journeys, the taboo of the 'eco greenie' image can be broken down. My 82 years old mother has one of the electric scooters which I often borrow to go to the bank in our town centre... It's quicker than driving the car 2 miles:)

JanetO 09:03 07 Jun 2008

We've just joined Streetcar. It's a scheme whereby you pay an annual sub, then give an hour's notice and pick up a car from an allocated place. Prices start from £3.95 per hour or £39.50 per day. It saves a few thousand per year if you're not a frequent car user.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:17 07 Jun 2008

click here

from the AA

makes interesting reading,
The less mileage you do the higher the cost of running a car.

Te government wants to people to use there cars less but pushes up road tax.

Whats the point in paying road tax and leaving the car standing on the drive?
Scrap road tax save the cost of administration / chasing dodgers etc. and put the tax on fuel. That way the people that use the road the most, have thirstier gas guzzlers that emit more CO2, pay the most.

jack 10:43 07 Jun 2008

In an ideal world- very few of us would need the motor car.
The need to travel would be eliminated by putting people and the the things they need close together and then have 24/7/365 public transport.
I cant happen of course.
The Automotive industry would close down, Individuals would cite their personal needs as paramount etc.
So one car per family then. Nah.
This seems to be one hole we have got ourselves into and keeping on digging is maybe the only way out.

The Brigadier 11:27 07 Jun 2008

This would be an ideal time for the railways to up their game and get more people to use their service. It may also be a thing of the future to have a better transport infrastructure to carry more passengers by public transport, lets prove Dr Beeching wrong.

Simsy 11:39 07 Jun 2008

My wife and I used the train for a return journey London-Nottingham-London. It was easy enough, with no problems. But the cost for the two of us was over £100. We would normally have used the car, with almost identical travelling times when taking into account the time spent getting to/from St Pancras on the tube.

And using the car would have cost us less than half what it did, about £40 in fuel!

Therein lies what I believe to be the biggest issue. Despite the recent increases in fuel costs it is usually cheaper to use the car than to use public transport, especially if there is more than one passenger. That also applies within London. I can't speak for the rest of the country as I don't have enough experience of other local transport arrangments.

So public transport needs to be made cheaper, and more attractive, so more people use it.

But, especailly during morning and evening, London Transport tube and buses are full. No more folk can get on!

So we need more trains, (any room on the tracks??), and more busses, (with conductors, not pay as you get on!!!).

But that means the fares will need to rise, so public transport will cost even more than using a car!

I really wouldn't want to be Transport Minister!

Regards,

Simsy

jack 12:10 07 Jun 2008

Then the main cost is spent- so fuel -price not withstanding at the moment- will be cheaper then Public transport - even taking into account some astronomical parking costs.
Keep digging guys

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?