Thats it! i'm taking my car off the road! (petrol)

Uboat 11:16 13 Jan 2011

i dont realy need the car i can use public transport, i refuse to personaly pay anymore for the price of petrol, 80% is goverment tax!

& now THIS!

click here

uk-wizard 11:31 13 Jan 2011

Costs me more than that now, as I have 70lt tank.

interzone55 11:35 13 Jan 2011

In most cases public transport is more expensive than the cost of the fuel you'd use on the same journey, and it would take you longer.

A bus from my house to work is £2.00, for a journey of 3 miles.

My car does around 40mpg on a commute, which equates to 8.8 miles per litre, so for 3 miles I'd use around 44p of fuel at the current Asda price for diesel.

Also, at the current price, VAT and Duty make up around 63.1% of the price of petrol & 61.4% of the price of diesel
click here

Uboat 11:41 13 Jan 2011

uk wizzard "70ltr" tank.? my god man what you driving lol

alan14 yeah i see your point but i dont drive everyday so public transport is worth me paying out a couple of pounds here and there..

Noldi 11:57 13 Jan 2011

Your calculation is only based on Fuel costs. Don’t forget, Insurance, Tax, Servicing and Depreciation of car value.

I don’t know this for certain but if you purchased a monthly or yearly ticket is that cheaper.

I am currently looking to repatriate back to UK and my calculation is about £350 + a month difference between having no car and working in my home town, or travelling about 30 miles to work by car.

£280 Fuel (2.0L petrol car @ 30 mpg)
£20 Tax
£40 Ins
£25 Service costs
Depreciation?

So I am like Uboat and seriously thinking about it.

Noldi

Pine Man 11:59 13 Jan 2011

Fuel will have to get a lot dearer before I venture onto a bus again.

Recently I used one on a rainy day and I found that the windows were all steamed up, the smell from all of the wet coats was horrendous and, worst of all, everybody was coughing and sneezing.

I think I'll continue paying a little more for my petrol and travel in a warm, air-conditioned, comfortable and relatively germ free environment!

Quickbeam 11:59 13 Jan 2011

There's been talk of a fuel price stabiliser for years that reduces the tax take for when this happens, but successive governments suddenly take the greed option when they realise how much windfall tax they can rake in.

So now we're all in this together (apparently), we will have to just sit and take the medicine for our own good. The trouble is that escalating fuel costs will be the single most biggest reason for runaway inflation which will negate the sacrifices that we all (the same 'all' as in all in it together), are expected to make.

This could be the worst year of the recession if they decide to let us carry on contributing to the windfall tax take.

Strange how they like to tax the big conglomerates with windfall taxes if they do too well out of a crisis...

WhiteTruckMan 12:03 13 Jan 2011

And it cost nearly £700. Yes, thats right, hundred. I'm not too bothered about the price of petrol (but I do sympathise) but the rise in diesel is the real economic killer. I've said it before, I'll say it now and I'll say it again in the future, if you put the price of diesel up you put the price of everything up. It really, really is that simple. With the possible exception of electricity no one single commodity is so influential on our daily lives, and yet we are constantly under pressure due to artificially manufactured price rises. I have no problem with incentives to use fuel more efficiently, but increasing taxation simply to raise more revenue is both simplistic and ultimately counter productive.

WTM

Bingalau 12:15 13 Jan 2011

WTM. Very true, I suppose we can wait another few years and vote the present lot out again. The new government will then start the process all over again. Result more excessive price rises. Talk about "What goes around, comes around"!

DANZIG 12:16 13 Jan 2011

I'm not normally one to react to big price increases in petrol, however this one IS making me think about how much I use the car.

I need it to get to work - public transport is, as already mentioned, unreliable and unbelievably filthy. I can't cut getting to work out - but I will be considering walking into town whenever I can.

My annual holiday also consists of driving round the UK - I'm not cutting that out either!

spuds 12:56 13 Jan 2011

All governments and local councils are constantly preaching about public transport, and how people will solve climate changes etc, if they did use public transport on a daily basis.

Now I do not know, if the experts have ever considered availability and reliability of public transport, but I have.

If I wanted to go to our nearest Asda superstore, I would need to catch three buses, with connections in between, plus £1.40 per bus ticket (fortunately I have an OAP bus pass, which might expire in 2012?). And lets not forget, the amount of goods you would carry or the bus driver would allow. Using a taxi (defeating the object) would cost about £5.00 per journey. Using my own vehicle would give me the satisfaction that I could choose the time, route, convenience and comfort of the journey.

Another point. Our local bus services seem to work from 6am to 11pm on some routes but not all, with varied amount of in-hour running. But having said that, we do use the local bus service into town, because it is a direct 25 minute run, with no problems of finding rather expensive parking, if we were to use the car. Plus our shopping would be minimal items.

As for rail journeys, Dr Beeching and privatisation put paid to any sense of that. Fewer stations and increasing fares. Cheaper to travel by airplane perhaps?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?