Thank goodness for the Thames flood barrier.

Forum Editor 23:41 28 Feb 2010

It is currently raised, and will stay that way until 4:00 a.m. tomorrow morning, protecting Central London from a high tide and anticipated tidal surge.

I've watched the barrier being raised against a full tide, and it's an impressive sight. The difference in water levels on either side was spectacular.

rdave13 23:51 28 Feb 2010

Man's fight against nature. Works today; tomorrow who knows?

mrwoowoo 03:42 01 Mar 2010

It most certainly is an impressive sight, although i have never seen it raised. I would love it if you could post a picture, if you ever get the opportunity, showing the tidal variation.
Even more impressive when you realise that, without it, a potential £80bn worth of property and infastructure would be at risk.

rdave13
In the future, if the sea level rose 6ft or so then a larger, permanent barrier would need to be put in place. I think that may be a long way off though.

morddwyd 08:17 01 Mar 2010

And in another thread we're discussing the shortage of water!

As usual with nature, wrong place, wrong time!

Input Overload 08:23 01 Mar 2010

I did a bit of reading on the barrier once & it is truly a marvel of engineering, the way it works was put simply in a similar way to a gas tap. I would like to see it in action.

rdave13 09:27 01 Mar 2010

Some interesting facts; click here

sunnystaines 09:30 01 Mar 2010

a few years back there was talk of a 2nd barrier on the thames did work ever start or was it quietly shelved

muddypaws 09:41 01 Mar 2010

click here

In case anyone hasn't seen these photos.

interzone55 09:49 01 Mar 2010

I watched something on Channel Five a couple of months back about the Thames Barrier, they said it costs £5,000 a time in electricity to raise the barrier.

That's some serious motors...

Quickbeam 10:11 01 Mar 2010

"...it costs £5,000 a time in electricity to raise the barrier."
You'd think they would be able to use the tidal power to generate it's own electricity for that.

Or have a wind generating turbine on top, it's not too far from parliament is it...?

dagbladet 10:55 01 Mar 2010

I may be talking complete guff here (again) but a 'bloke dahn the pub' once told me that part of the London flood defence strategy involves potentially sacrificing low lying areas of Kent/Essex, within the Thames Estuary. Is that right?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017