Thai PM 'overthrown in army coup'

def90csw 19:22 19 Sep 2006

So a coup in Thailand will this effect the large amount of tourists they get?

I'm going their on business on the weekend or will the advice from the FCO be stay clear at all costs?

BigRik 19:28 19 Sep 2006

click here

Good luck!

anskyber 19:35 19 Sep 2006

Hmm, I wonder if that is where the FE is?

def90csw 19:51 19 Sep 2006

Wonder if he fancies doing some freelance work for my company? But he probably just wants to get out the country before they close the international airport!!

Forum Editor 23:54 19 Sep 2006

He's in Bangkok, and wondering what the day (which is dawning) will bring.

My client is in the banking business, and assures me he'll get all the news from his contacts at the central bank of Thailand as soon as the offices open. Nobody in my hotel was unduly worried last night, and I'm sure that things will unfold over the next 24 hours. British Airways are flying in their morning schedule from heathrow, so they obviously aren't that concerned.

Kate B 01:14 20 Sep 2006

It seems to be a pretty tidy coup, and it wasn't unexpected.

I love Bangkok. Some of the best hotels in the world are there and I had one of my best nights out ever seeing the Thai Tom Jones. Priceless! I'm sure you will, but hope you get back ok, Peter.

Forum Editor 06:55 20 Sep 2006

Thanks Kate. They've declared martial law here, and there's a news clampdown. Everyone is enjoying a day off today, the banks are closed, and so I've got the day off too. My client has suggested a drive into the countryside around Bangkok for a spot of sightseeing and lunch, so I'm going to take advantage of that.

Kate A 10:47 20 Sep 2006

An email from him this morning:

"There are a few tanks in Bangkok, but that's it. Apart from the fact that the TV is off air (no bad thing in my opinion) nothing has changed.

The worst part is this - all schools and businesses are closed today, probably to open up tomorrow - today is the only day I don't teach, so the absolute worst day to have a bleedin' coup! typical!"

Kate B 11:11 20 Sep 2006

Ah, hope you go up to Ayyuthaya rather than out to Pattaya or down towards Hua Hin - Ayyuthaya is wonderful.

def90csw 13:16 20 Sep 2006

Dont think i will be going to Thailand after all, some reports that the International airport in Bangkok is going to be or already has been closed. May be a good time to delegate and let someone else go. Was caught up in a coup a few years ago in Africa (not of my doing)Just got out of that country a.s.a.p!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone