Text messages over landline

johndrew 16:13 29 Mar 2009

Has anyone any idea of the origins of SPAM (unsolicited) text messages that are sent over landlines or better still a method of preventing them in the first place?

The reason I ask is that over the recent past I have had recorded calls from a BT 08456 number telling me that a text has been sent to my number and requesting that I `press 4` to receive it. Given that my `phone is incapable of receiving such messages I simply hang up, but when they arrive at night they are more than annoying.

The Telephone Preference Service is unable to assist and it is not in the interests of BT to stop them - apparently.

I feel certain they are generated by some computer on a random basis for advertising purposes but have no idea for whom or where.

Thanks in anticipation for any suggestions.

[email protected] 16:58 29 Mar 2009

I guess it wouldn't harm to listen to one. At least you'll know where they are coming from. They could be genuine.

P.S. All landline phones on a BT line can receive text messages. They are simply read out to you.

interzone55 17:01 29 Mar 2009

You can receive the text - just press 4 and a robot will read it out to you.

You don't know if it's Spam until you've listened to it, it could be a perfectly normal text from someone wishing to send you a message.

We get them a lot at work from customers trying to jump the queue by texting us in the vein hope we'll ring them back, no chance, they can join the queue like everyone else...

oresome 18:32 29 Mar 2009

"We get them a lot at work from customers trying to jump the queue by texting us in the vein hope we'll ring them back, no chance, they can join the queue like everyone else..."

Does this tell you something about the customer service you're providing?

cruiser2 19:14 29 Mar 2009

Could be that they can then use your number to make calls without you knowing until you get your next bill.
I can send/receive text messages on my phone as it is also an answering machine. Never used it as I use my mobile for texting

interzone55 19:53 29 Mar 2009

No, it should tell the customer that I'm too busy with real phonecalls to bother with queue jumping texters...

johndrew 10:18 30 Mar 2009

Thanks people.

I have no interest in paying for someone to advertise to me so I shall simply have to hang up when they arrive (and unplug the `phone at night if necessary).

As for them being from someone who wants to get a message to me, well those who I know who may need to do so have my mobile number.

Thanks again.

interzone55 12:30 30 Mar 2009

Check with BT, you can set you line so that you either never receive texts, or they only arrive during the daytime.

Colin 12:56 30 Mar 2009

My dentist uses this service to remind people of their appointments. I used to ignore them until my dentist asked if I received the messages. I listened to the next one and it sounded like an alien talking – a bit disconcerting for some people, I’m sure. However, contrary to what the media would have you believe, I didn’t get my bank account emptied, my credit cards and passport cloned or my house sold to the Moonies!

Picklefactory 15:59 30 Mar 2009

but another possible cause is if people you know have both your mobile and land line numbers, it is very easy to choose the wrong one when sending texts from a mobile. I have done it myself once, and had a few from friends. If they have your land line set as default number and just send instead of selecting your mobile number first, it will just go to your land line. If you only have one, I would listen to it and find out. If it is genuine and harmless, no need for action.

[email protected] 16:27 31 Mar 2009

It does not cost to receive the messages. The sender foots the bill. I don't see what you have to loose by listening to one!

Cruiser2,

"Could be that they can then use your number to make calls without you knowing until you get your next bill."

That baffles me somewhat. Could you please explain how that could possibly happen?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017