TESCO Recycling

ulrich 18:29 12 Jul 2008

Sorry about advertising but my T/Co used to give points for plastic bottles etc, and there used to be big queues accept when it was broken down. I did notice it was quieter this week and then went to get rid of my bottles, plastic glass etc. I then realised that they are only giving points on
drinks cans, aluminium. So my query is what is happening to all the people who used to take their plastic bottles, I suppose they can't be bothered now?

gardener 18:37 12 Jul 2008

People shouldn't be given points to encourage them to recycle, they should be forced to do it and penalized if they don't. The amount of waste chucked into household bins is disgraceful just because the lazy sods can't be bothered to sort it and dispose of it responsibly.

Forum Editor 18:39 12 Jul 2008

I wouldn't have phrased it in quite such a colourful way, but I agree absolutely.

Pineman100 19:02 12 Jul 2008

I enitrely agree with the spirit of your argument. The trouble is, that's not the way that human nature works. People tend to respond better to a carrot than they do to a stick.

Actually for the best response of all, we should give them both. A carrot for recycling and a stick for being "a lazy sod who can't be bothered".

I volunteer to drive the stick.

gardener 19:10 12 Jul 2008

No Pineman, I want the stick..a big one.

namtas 19:23 12 Jul 2008

"People shouldn't be given points to encourage them to recycle, they should be forced to do it"

If our government is serious about recycling why isn't it doing anything to correct the simple problems at source? I will begin to see your point of view, as soon as I am confident that my council actually does recycle the items instead of dumping in landfill as is rumoured, as soon as I see that retailers have stopped sealing totally necessary items in double and triple plastic protection. And as soon as I feel magazine publishers have got the message that for most of us inserted junk mail is a waste of time, preferring to place it direct in the waste bin I now see provided by some store.

ulrich 20:37 12 Jul 2008

How many people do realy bother, I hate to say it but not very many, I can see this by the attitude of my neighbours.

Out of interest I will ask T/co why they have stopped. Unfortunately it isthe normal citizen who should help to do something, but they wont.

gengiscant 21:14 12 Jul 2008

Re the lazy sods.My council(Edinburgh) issued all households with a large blue box and a large red box plus a blue bag for papers.
The blue bag is easy,thats paper.The box's depend on the day/week as to what they should contain.
I live in a flat,I can manage to accommodate the blue box as thats the same colour as the bag and as I read a least 3 papers a day,this has become the paper recycling box.

I work so the box is put out on the relevant day and remains outside till I return at night,having been visit by various canine friends.

So now I have a dirty smelly box in the only space available in my living room.So after a clean,it is returned to its corner.
This recycling has been rushed into by a lot of councils without much thought to the various types of accommodation.
Recycling is a dam sight easier if you have garden or at least space outside your abode to store the various receptacles.

No! were not all lazy sods(even though you have the backing of Mr sanctimonious),I do the best I can,given the restrictions of space etc.It would be difficult to separate and store all the various bits of plastic,cardboard,glass,metal etc.
So paper is as about as far as I can go.As its my biggest waste product,I will have to live with the fact that all other rubbish goes in the black bag.

ulrich 21:48 12 Jul 2008

gengiscant this is the problem lots of ideas, but no one who knows how to implement them sensibly.

spuds 21:52 12 Jul 2008

I live on the border lines of three council's, and each council have entirely different procedures for collection and recycling.

The council that accept my council tax boasts that it only dumps 5% to landfill. That was until they had a major breakdown in the brand new recycling depot, and everything went to landfill 60/80 miles away, even though there are more local landfills. Think of the pollution and transport cost and waste that exercise entailed!.

Then there was the article in the media recently, about 'what is the difference between' garden vegetables and vegetable waste from the sink after preparation. Apparently, according to one council, there is a big difference!.

Stuartli 00:46 13 Jul 2008

I always take our plastic bottles and containers to one of the local supermarkets where large recycling containers are available.

However, I recall reading the other day that one woman who had put her (bagged) plastic items alongside the container because it was already full, was fined for what was deemed a form of fly-tipping.

I don't blame her reaction to cease such recycling of plastics and just dump it in her refuse bin, especially as she used to come quite a distance to use the container.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?