Tell Me Something Fresh

oresome 18:01 25 Nov 2007

Or should that be sell me something fresh?

Which, the consumer group, claim that purchasing your groceries on-line results in receiving food with shorter sell by dates.

I'm not surprised. If most store shoppers are like my wife, they will reach to the back of the shelf and get the latest stock.

The pickers for the on-line customers will simply reach for the nearest item which is good practise really for stock rotation.

My wife argues that she is doing shopping for a week and it's no good buying goods that won't last untill the day she requires them.

click here

anskyber 18:19 25 Nov 2007

Yep.

But if you need the service or are housebound....well is it really such a big deal. Incidentally based on one shopping experience not several to get reliable results.

"A snapshot survey by the consumer organisation found "best before" dates were, on average, a day earlier for goods ordered over the internet" Says the report.

It does not get me out of my chair in a rage and Tesco are reported as giving their on line shoppers the chance to specify minimum sell by dates.

If I was a CA member I would feel slightly cheated.

Coffee Adict 19:07 25 Nov 2007

A bit nit-picky, I use Tesco home delivery because I don't have a car and its a god send for the heavy bulky stuff, I'm lucky that I live only a minute away from my local co-op and can pick and choose my own veg, most of the stuff I buy from Tesco is either tinned or for home freezing. Their turnaround is so vast that most things are usually well within their sell by date.

tried 19:38 25 Nov 2007

never forget "sell by dates" are for the seller be it tescos or sainsburys not the consumer. Maybe a "consume by date" would be better for the consumer. The thing is I never look on the sunday roast wifey dishes up to see any date. She can tell in flash wether its crap or not and gosh she will be at the coustomer desk in a flash!! Try a farm shop or a farmers market!!

laurie53 20:33 25 Nov 2007

Bit more to it than just one day, if you read the report.

For instance, one customer was sent a 2.5 kg bag of potatoes which had to be used by the following day.

Perfectly fresh, perfectly legal, but I doubt if many would have chosen such a short date had they been shopping in store.

lisa02 21:01 25 Nov 2007

It's only to be expected, it's in the company's interests and the customers too.
Less wastage keeps prices low and profit margins up.

PS produce doesn't grow with use by dates on them.

ventanas 10:27 26 Nov 2007

I used to use Tesco's on line ordering and delivery service, but stopped doing so precisely for this reason.

Mike D 10:29 26 Nov 2007

My mate was sent a carton of orange juice because Tesco was out of Lemon Gif!

anchor 11:42 26 Nov 2007

This was reported in the newspapers ages ago.

The stores were able to rid themselves of short dated produce in this way, whereas the in-store customer would almost always go for the freshest. This avoided the need for last date reductions, saving the store money.

Another comment was that the supermarket would send what "they" considered a substitute for an item ordered, if it was out of stock. This often enabled them to sell slow moving goods.

Fortunately, we have a large supermarket ,with a fast turnover, less than 5 minutes walk away. No need for a shop-on-line service.

wee eddie 13:38 26 Nov 2007

This food dating system is so faulty that it has to be Laughable.

Spuds within 1 day of their sell by date. So what. Unless they are kept in a warm sweaty place they should be perfectly edible for a month or more.

A box of Cornflakes or similar will be perfectly safe, if kept in a dry place, for many months after their Sell by Date. (possibly even years)

Jams will, very likely, be safe and edible for several years after their Sell by Date.

Pickles will improve if kept well beyond their Sell by Date.

Most of you here will pour scorn on the actions of Politicians when it comes to Crime or Tax Legislation, and yet you swallow this petty regulation. Hook, Line and Sinker.

Totally-braindead 13:56 26 Nov 2007

wee eddie I have to disagree with you. The items you listed are fine but not so with milk, rolls and bread and meats. In short anything fresh.
If you eat something with a couple of days of the sell by date then thats fine but particularly with bread I find it pays to read the labels. Its not the first time I've gone home with a loaf of bread from Tescos only to realise the sell by date is today with the loaf going off before I've eaten half of it and had to throw it in the bin.
In the case of fresh food it does pay to look at the date.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?