Teaching

laurie53 08:19 30 Oct 2007

I was watching a quiz programme recently and one of the questions referred to Middlemarch, Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice.

The contestant was an English teacher, and she said that as these had never appeared in the curriculum she hadn't read any of them.

Am I right to be a bit surprised at this, or am I expecting too much?

Let me be the first to say I have not read any of them myself, far too turgid for me, but I would have thought at least one of them would would almost be a text book for an English teacher.

laurie53 09:34 30 Oct 2007

Tried them and failed I'm afraid, but you have a good point about what is taught at school.

Original Shakespeare is virtually unknown to me having had to devour great chunks of it at school long before I was ready, and so is a lot of Dickens, though I still go back to Pickwick, Two Cities and Nickleby from time to time.

Mike D 12:19 30 Oct 2007

I agree with fourm member. I only dicoverd Dickens and co recently. Yes the language is strange at first sight but once you're used to it, all's well. Mind you, MIddlemarch is a bit of a trial.

Mike

Cymro. 12:33 30 Oct 2007

W.H.Smiths used to have a series of paper backs of great classics at a pound a copy. I think they were published by Penguin and very good value.

I have gone through most of them at one time or other and found that some of them were indeed as laurie53 suggests rather "turgid", but at that price who cares, you can just try then out one at a time keep the once you like and pass the others on.

Like many I never got in to such things in my school days, but have learnt to appreciate and enjoy most of them in latter life.

As for the education system of today, I assumed that such classics were still used as part of the National Curriculum.

youtruth 12:36 30 Oct 2007

Slightly reminds me of alco-pops drinkers.
They like alcohol but not the taste.

Reading is for the one's that have nothing better to do. However, to do so and suffer, well that must be madness.

mrwoowoo 14:23 30 Oct 2007

"Reading is for the one's that have nothing better to do"
Surely it doesn't just apply to reading,just because it's not your thing.
Whatever we do,we do because we have nothing better to do.Be it posting on this forum,fishing,playing pc games or a round of golf.Human nature (and common sense) dictates if we had something better or more appealing to do ,then we would be doing it.

tried 14:56 30 Oct 2007

Well put points Forum M. I bet you thought Shakes. and Dickens were boring at 14! Im still finding funny bits now and im 69. may be Youtruth is right! we do not need to read now its all on the computor trouble is how do I read the comp. screen?

Cymro. 15:27 30 Oct 2007

As youtruth says
"Surely it doesn't just apply to reading, just because it's not your thing."

Most things in life we do because we enjoy it, or possibly because we have no choice as with such things as work etc.

I have done more on my computer than any book for the last year or so. I get enjoyment out of it, but like many a newcomer to computing I have also suffered for it.

natdoor 15:51 30 Oct 2007

It is perhaps surprising that an English teacher is unfamiliar with the most popular books by Eliot, Bronte and Austen. However, I find it more disconcerting that, thanks to the influence of linguistics (click here ), most are unfamiliar with declension, conjugation, nouns, pronouns, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, subjunctive etc.

I, for one, am most grateful to an excellent teacher and rigorous disciplinarian who rapidly instilled the structure of latin into all his pupils. (He would probably be prosecuted for GBH today1). It rapidly became apparent that it was totally applicable to English, although most of the entries in declension and conjugation tables were the same. It also greatly simplified the learning of German as an adult. (At least I understand the structure but regretably have not diligently memorised the gender of all nouns). My wife, who is German, helped a couple of English colleagues with the language when we worked in Munich. Even then, nearly forty years ago, the biggest problem was having to introduce an understanding of the structure of language.

wee eddie 17:05 30 Oct 2007

is sitting up half the night reading a book, just to find out what will happen next.

While knowing perfectly well that if I put it down, go to sleep, and then take it up again tomorrow, the outcome will not have changed by one jot or tittle!

mrwoowoo 17:20 30 Oct 2007

I think you are getting mine and youtruth's postings muddled!
Or i'm getting muddled?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?