Tax avoiders are still common thieves

Quiller. 23:10 08 Apr 2009

So what's the worse. Those who claim benefits, legally or those who do their best to avoid paying tax?
click here

Helen. 23:15 08 Apr 2009

it says

"Let's never stop examining our own personal financial morality, and make tax avoidance as well as evasion, by everyone from banks and their pensioned off executives, to celebrities and "charitable" entrepreneurs, as socially acceptable as mugging."

How appropriate.

Kev.Ifty 23:52 08 Apr 2009

I would like to be a politician, I wonder where I can possibly get funding from?

ooh here comes a Multimillionaire to fund my party. What policies shall I declare?

DieSse 00:28 09 Apr 2009

No one has an obligation to pay more tax than the law says they should.

If the laws allow arrangements that we may think are ethically suspect, then the laws should be changed. It's not up to anyone to volunteer taxes they do not legally owe, or to arrange their affairs to pay the maximum amount of tax.

newman35 07:11 09 Apr 2009

The argument used in your final paragraph is analogous to the MP's justifications for claiming expenses, as well.

It's all about the 'rules'.

laurie53 07:21 09 Apr 2009

I am a tax`avoider, but I don't regard myself as a thief.

I save in an tax free ISA, I claim VAT back on items I need because of a medical condition, I allow charities to claim the tax`back on my donations and generally take any opportunity to save on tax.

All quite legal and legitimate.

If you really think that all the people who save in ISAs are common thieves you are really rather sad.

carver 07:44 09 Apr 2009

Muriel Gray takes a very moral stance but is prepared to be a two faced sleaze when it comes to asking for money.

Why didn't she tell this person her feelings towards him and be honest "I was forced to sit beside a disgusting and boring multi-millionaire at a charity event in order to extract money from him"

He has not done any thing illegal in not paying tax, maybe if he had payed every penny she thinks that he should have, he wouldn't have the money to give to a charity.

I wonder if the next time she is at a fund raising she will tell the people her feelings and tell them she thinks they are just common thieves.

newman35 07:49 09 Apr 2009

It's all a matter of degree, really.

Nobody would accuse ISA savers of doing wrong, but the likes of Lewis Hamilton who take their phenomenal cash pot to a foreign tax haven are, to my mind, a disgrace. Yet we heap medals and adoration on them, even though they are happy to turn their backs on us and leave us all to pay the taxes.
They have been brought up, educated and generally helped to where they are by all our taxes, yet as soon as they hit the big-time, it's time to leave - just so they don't have to contribute to the society that nurtured them initially.
Hero? Sponger, more like.

Quickbeam 07:54 09 Apr 2009

Are you comparing legal benefit claimants with illegal tax evaders? Or illegal benefit claimants with legal tax avoiders? Or...

Is your comparison like for like?

interzone55 08:08 09 Apr 2009

I may be wrong with this, but Switzerland's top tax band is 45.5%, therefore 13.75% higher than the rate Hamilton would have to pay if he'd stayed in the UK.

How does that make him a sponger?

ps if you think he's using a scheme where his earnings are paid into a company and his living costs become "expenses", Switzerland's company taxes are higher than ours as well...

newman35 08:15 09 Apr 2009

I used the term 'sponger' because all his life up to leaving he had used our taxes for his NHS, schooling etc - then, when he has money he elopes with it!

Are you seriously telling us he has elected to go elsewhere so that he can pay even higher taxes? Hmmm...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017