Tax Avoidance

laurie53 07:34 26 Feb 2008

The UK (and Germany) has paid an individual for information stolen from a bank in Liechtenstein

click here

Regardless of the morals of tax evasion/avoidance (not the same thing) should one state be paying an individual in another state for committing an act which is illegal in both states, in this particular case both members of the EU?

I discount “normal” spying or industrial espionage – this is state sponsored theft of data.

Does the end justify the means? If so, how far should it go?

georgemac © 08:04 26 Feb 2008

I can see nowhere in the article that the information was stolen from a bank by the informant?

I do not think anyone should ever gain from an illegal act and if this is the case (again it does not say this) I think the UK government is wrong.

Liechtenstein is a tax haven. I guess as they are not EU members the UK and German governments are restricted on what action they could take.

Economic sanctions would be preferable to individuals profiting from illegal acts - if this is what has happened.

If the UK government has paid an informant for information he has obtained legally then I have no objection to this if it helps convict tax cheats.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone