Tanker drivers to vote on industrial action

wids001 08:34 15 Jan 2011

click here

When I saw this I immediately sent out for extra petrol - 10 jerry cans worth and also managed to squeese an a couple of extra litres into my tank, having only topped up the car a couple of hours earlier!

Reading further it seems the drivers might have a vote on strike action next month. Scaremongering by the unions maybe ......

I suppose there'll be the usual panic buying if this threat becomes a reality and the forecourts will soon run dry.

Forum Editor 08:38 15 Jan 2011

I immediately sent out for extra petrol - 10 jerry cans worth and also managed to squeese an a couple of extra litres into my tank, having only topped up the car a couple of hours earlier!"

"I suppose there'll be the usual panic buying if this threat becomes a reality and the forecourts will soon run dry."

Please confirm that your first paragraph was a joke, before a tirade of criticism descends on you.

peter99co 11:53 15 Jan 2011

What you are doing is probably illegal and is very dangerous to your own safety. How long is your fuse?

Woolwell 13:30 15 Jan 2011

If your first para is correct then what you have done is illegal. You are allowed to store a maximum of 2 x 10 litres of petrol without a licence.

carver 13:45 15 Jan 2011

How dare you start panic buying, just do the same as me and shove £300 worth of diesel in the horsebox, then all I have to do is syphon some out now and again for the car.

peter99co 14:06 15 Jan 2011

I always find it so much more pleasant to drive on less congested roads. Bring it on! ;0)

johndrew 14:36 15 Jan 2011

All such action by both tanker drivers and hoarders causes is a shortage (often unnecessary) and a price hike as a result of "supply and demand".

Additionally, as pointed out above, some hoarders invalidate their property insurance, break the law and make it very dangerous for the fire service.

ukpostcode 17:24 15 Jan 2011

Got enough fuel to get to work for 3 weeks.
1 week and the country would be at a standstill.
I would then drive a works car and fill up at a desingnated emergency fuel point!

Of course it could all go pearshape and we end up on a 3 day week,fuel rationing & food stamps. But hey lets not worry about that, that happened in the 70's

KremmenUK 07:19 17 Jan 2011

There are certain 'trades' that I think teh Gov should stop from striking.

All manner of Transport is one of them. Why they let Bob Crow wreck London when he fancies beats me.

spuds 09:48 17 Jan 2011

It beats me how people read something then straight away rush out and panic buy, causing further problems leading to possible shortages and higher prices.

But having said that, I notice that one major newspaper is running a campaign regarding fuel costs, and are recruiting the help of supermarkets in keeping costs down. The article stated that Tesco was in full favour of this and was supporting the campaign. Yet our local Tesco supermarket are not at all competitive on fuel prices, because their prices go with the flow of other garages in the area, and all prices are the same. Tesco do give the incentive of using their Clubcard, but so do the other garages who provide discounts through Nectar card.

Strawballs 13:04 17 Jan 2011

The last fuel protest that brought the country to a stanstill had nothing to do with unions it was down to self employed who would have no use for unions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?