Swearing Allegiance

Bingalau 18:39 11 Mar 2008

to Queen and Country. Anybody else got any views on this latest proposal for our citizens. I think it is a good idea to swear allegiance to the country but not (repeat) not to the Queen.

While we are at it maybe change to a decent National Anthem. Yes, I know we are sick of discussing this old chestnut.

€dstowe 18:45 11 Mar 2008

An oath of allegiance with have the same import as an ASBO for a lot of young people - a symbol of ridicule.

bremner 18:48 11 Mar 2008
  Bingalau 18:50 11 Mar 2008

bremner. Sorry about that, missed it somehow or other.

finlay.mitchel 18:51 11 Mar 2008

many European countries have had a political swing to the right due to increased immigration. I think the UK is too divided for a new chant.

Forum Editor 18:58 11 Mar 2008

with one thread on the subject, and as bremner was the first to post click here I'll close this version.

lofty29 19:06 11 Mar 2008

Since all Uk citizens are subjects of HM it would be improper to swear an oath of allegiance without including her, could result in some interesting court cases however. I am sure that if the old laws were raked through there could be many interesting charges that could be brought to bear on people if it was so wished to do, especially under the "les majeste" rules. I always remember a rule I read somewhere relating to old railway rules which stated that" IF two trains meet at a level crossing neither must move till the other has gone"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?