Swear Oath of Allegiance

bremner 14:39 11 Mar 2008

If ever we needed evidence that those who govern us have lost touch with reality

click here

I imagine they will be queuing up to do this!!!!!

Totally-braindead 14:43 11 Mar 2008

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

merciarich 14:48 11 Mar 2008

Power and control...........

Maybe the Government should run the country properly and then impose these stupid rules on us.

To think, we have paid someone to come up with this stupid idea.

belfman 15:07 11 Mar 2008

I'm surprised he doesn't want an allegiance swore to himself...

"All hail Brown the un-elected PM!"

peter99co 16:07 11 Mar 2008

How long do we have to wait before we can vote again?

interzone55 16:10 11 Mar 2008

Seeing as we're not citizens, why should we have citizenship ceremonies.

As soon as we stop being Subjects I will attend a Citizenship Ceremony

realist 16:26 11 Mar 2008

I think this is more evidence that those who govern us have lost touch with reality but are in very close touch with the USA.

PRONMEISTER 16:47 11 Mar 2008

Unitl 2010 it seems, that's the longest he can hold off.

gibfish26 16:52 11 Mar 2008

peter99co

next polling is local elections in may,i cant wait, this goverment is so past its sell by date iv'e had enough.

gibfish26.

Forum Editor 19:18 11 Mar 2008

to swear allegiance to the crown 30 or 40 years ago I imagine the entire country would have been happy to oblige. How times have changed.

Americans swear allegiance to the flag, which is a symbol of the national identity. That's largely why their flag is so important to them, and why you see it everywhere you go in America - they're immensely proud of the flag, and of what it represents. They obviously can't swear allegiance to a monarchy, so they settle for the flag, and it seems to work pretty well - people do it in school, so they get used to the idea.

We could do a lot worse than having some kind of focus in terms of our national identity, and if the monarchy isn't acceptable we could also swear allegiance to the flag - as long as it's the Union Jack, I hate that white thing with a red cross on it.

OR4NG3ROCK 19:42 11 Mar 2008

i think it's a stupid idea, the goverment goes on about wanting children to have a good education but surely if children were to pledge allegiance, it would take time out of the children being able to learn.I certainly wouldn't pledge. i see no point as i don't consider myself to be 'british' even though i was born in London and still live in London now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?